• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Popping noise in 4wd

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
89 xj,4.0,auto, non disco d0.
So I'm getting a loud popping noise from the front end in 4wd when going forward or reversing while turning and under load or stress. Happens if I get buried in a snowbank or in deep mud. Has two new xtra strenght u joints. Could they be binding once and a while?

Motor mounts and trans mount are only a month or so old. I guess my next step is to hook up the chassis ears and go wheelin

if youre on pavement when its doing this its just because the front end is binding under load, try in dirt and see if that fixes the problem, dirt gives more than pavement. pavement has too much traction, so its natural for any front end to pop when the front axle is turning

wes

All u-joints are new, so some noise is normal?

Noise is normal on pavement, not that you should be driving in 4 on pavement but if its doing it in dirt and mud under stress or turning than its not normal. My explorer was just doing this same thing and I found that the right front hub was bad. Im not sure if jeeps have the same style of hub(i dought it) but just something to look into.

I do need a rf hub assembly, but that doesn't explain the noises to me.And

nope, if its the stock axle itll be a unit bearing fulltime style axle, therefore has no hubs, the front end is turning constantly, then when the transfer case is shifted into 4wd power is transmitted to the front end.

wes

It's the shift fork in you t-case. it ware's and then allow it to pop out of gear. mine was doing that when i got it. I pulled it out and replace it with a nether 231 that i had laying around so i could rebuild this one.

this one work so well i haven't spent the time to put my new shift fork in the aether one..........could be the chain in the t-case or a lot of aether thing but my t-case was so bad that could put a pry bar in the front drive shaft with the jeep in 4wd lo or hi and make the t-case slip!

Flash.

Back