• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Converter not locking?

SBXJ737

NAXJA Forum User
So, after breaking down and spraying off the grime from last weeks mud adventure, I washed down my engine with degreaser and amorall, like always, making sure no water in the distributor, etc. Now after a test drive and a couple of restarts thoughout the weekend, my trans is acting piculiar. Cruising along below 40MPHish everything's normal, maybe a little sluggish. When it slides into OD, The converter seems as though it will not lock. Normal R's at 65 are about 2100 with 4.56's and 35's. Now we're slipping along at 2500 going 55 under lite throttle. When med throttle is applied, it'll wind up to 3ish and trans will just get hotter. I have a mech AutoMeter and today it was around 200º on the freeway with no load or cargo. With a fairly warmed-over 4.7L stroker, I hope I didn't grenade anything. Any thoughts. TPS did cross my mind... Thanks!

Check the switch on the brake pedal. If it's not adjusted right the TC won't lock up.

Back