• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-Case Skid

xjjeepthing

NAXJA Forum User
Time to repalce my stock T-case skid. Looking at 3 different ones.
Warn
http://www.warn.com/truck/mounting-systems/body_armor_skid_plate_xj.shtml
e4_1.jpg

Tomken
http://www.tomken.com/detail.php?id=119
tms-1334-231.jpg

Skidrow
http://www.skidplates.com/transfer_case_skid_plates_84_01_XJ.htm
sr_xjzjtcase.jpg

Whats everyones opinion on these or anyother suggestions.

They are all priced about the same and would work fine. If I had a newer (97-01) I wouldve probably gone with the Tomkin because I like that it goes from rail to rail, but Ive got a 96 and I dont like the one they have for 96 and older so I went with Warn because it was on sale and covers the whole bottom of the factory crossmember. I looked at the DPG. It goes from rail to rail and covers the crossmember but I think it cost a bit more than the others.

Now your talking big bucks for the TNT. Not a bad skid but I think thats in a whole other category from the ones he originally noted. I just figured he wanted to stay within a certain price range. When you get into the $200 range, all kinds of different possibilities open up.

Last edited:
Im looking to spend around 125 or less. Budget building

bowhunter said:
Im looking to spend around 125 or less. Budget building

Thats kinda what I figured, nothing wrong with that.
If you dont plan on getting a transmission skid, I would go with the Tomken first, then the Warn. Any of them should be fine on a budget though.

if you really want budget, get a brand new one from the dealership for $30. it's not the strongest, but it's better than nothing. that's what i did so at least i would have a skid plate there but safe some money for other upgrades. it's actually holding up surprisingly well in my opinion.

Hey stud, I bougt my warn from DC4wd.com for $84 shipped to the door. You should have posted this on our new club forum. Do the warn...it might not go from framerail to framerail, but is super beef, and you wont have to worry about it

I feel like throwing in my opinion here... I've got a Skid Row Transfercase skid.
I like it because it's inexpensive and very durable.
I wish it went from framerail to framerail and supported the crossmember better, because my crossmember is getting beat up. With that said, it has still taken a ton of abuse mounted to the crossmember.
I don't like that it's designed to accomodate a 1" transfercase drop. You can mount it without the drop, but the back side hangs an inch lower than it needs to. This may be an advantage if you do have a TC drop.

I have no first hand experience, but I like the looks of Warn's skid on paper, and if it was available at the time I bought mine I would have gotten it instead.
Also no first hand exerpience, but I think the design of the DPG and TnT make them better skids, and their price reflects that. If it is in your price range, I think they're better choices than the rest.

I have the DPG skid and I love it. It completely covers my crossmember, t-case and cat. It's beefy. But - that being said -

It hangs really low. I have gotten hung up quite a few times on the leading edge of that thing; twice on my last trip to Uwharrie. If I had to do it over, I'd get the TNT pan or make something similar. My DPG skid will be getting replaced in the future just because of this.

If money wasn't an issue, I'd say DPG. I'd love to have one.

Never seen the tomken.

Used to have the SkidRow. It's a solid unit no doubt, however, it hangs down too low due to it being made for a Tcase drop. For that reason I got rid of it and now have a Warn skid. It was the right price!! You can use the warn with a Tcase drop, it comes with a spacer. It's pretty solid, I've hit it so hard that my unibody framerail is pushed in where it mounts. It's solid, cheap, and I recommend it.

DPG quite selling the t-case skid and redesigned it. Supposed to be up again mid January. I sent them an e-mail.

Back