• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

headlight wiring upgrade diagram

beakie

NAXJA Forum User
been searching around for sometime on how to do this. Had a few talk thru's and pictures of the end results... finally found this picture of the wiring diagram.
p33272_image_large.jpg

but on this diagram pin 85 is gnd and 86 goes to the beam selection switch, where as on GOJeep's site they are the different (a few other differences but this one is troubling me the most)
Years ago in highschool I could have answered this myself, but havning not done much electrical work in a long while I am questioning myself.
Does it matter which pin goes to gnd and which to the switch?
or are 85/86 interchangable?
Is this pic exactly what I need to build for this upgrade?

Last edited:
forgot one last thing.
do 87 and 87A = the same thing?
can I use one to goto one headlight and the other to goto the second headlight.
87 to driver side
87A to pass side

thanks for all help.

85 usually goes to ground. Wire the system exactly how that diagram shows and you will be fine. No need to be scared, and make sure to fuse both relays (15a low beam 20a high beam). 87a is normally closed with 30 and when 85 and 86 are energized 87 and 30 become connected.

Slo-Sho said:
85 usually goes to ground. Wire the system exactly how that diagram shows and you will be fine. No need to be scared, and make sure to fuse both relays (15a low beam 20a high beam). 87a is normally closed with 30 and when 85 and 86 are energized 87 and 30 become connected.

the bold I am with you, but lost after that.
I understand 87 and 30 close when the relay is energized, but... oh I just got it. 87A is closed before the relay is energized and 87 is after.

Thanks then for both answering my question and helping me understand relay's again.

Just got this finished and installed, everything worked fine with the key in off position, just the headlights turned on.
once I started the vehicle tho I got a ticking sound, I would think the relay turning on/off rapidly, so I tried switching pins 30 and 87 around, and that solved it.
in the garage with the lights turned off (garage lites) and the Jeeps on it certainly seemed much brighter... I guess I could have one plugged in to old and one to new to see the real difference. I may try that when I put all the wiring into sleeves to clean it up and protect it better.
Looking forward to seeing the real deal while out on the road.

well I am rising this up again, having a problem of sorts with it and could use some help if possible.
this has been great, and the difference is crazy, but for some reason I get a buzzing noise whenever I put the vehicle in drive but don't have the lights on. During the day I don't turn them on, but if I don't the relay buzzes until I turn them on. I have everything wired up according to the plans, dbl and trpl checked. I think it may be the daytime running lights, which come on when you put the vehicle into drive... as there is no buzz when started, but once in D it begins. Could the daytime running lights be sending a weak signal, enuf to buzz the relay but not switch it comepletely... or is there something else I am overlooking here.
As always any and all help is appreciated.

You can run them either way to energize the coil but have swapped it around just now in the write up to keep it like it seems others like to wire it. ;)

As for the buzzing, I have never come across that but we dont have running lights that come on in this country. Can you disconnect them to see it that solves the problem?

start of new problem here

so I have this in, been working no problem for months now.
few weeks ago I cleaned up my engine compartment or stragler wires and such. decided since I was only using one stock headlight wire set I would cut the other back to the harness and end it there. Capped it off with elec tape and thought nothing of it. Now trying to get my lights back up n running I am finding my lights won't come on at all. Relays work fine, wiring is run properly, but for some reason the lights won't come on, hi or low.
Could it be I have to ground the other (cut) ground wire?
Any other ideas on what it could be?
97 sport (we have DRL up here)

forgot to mention
multimeter readout (20vDC) at the stock plug-in is .3 max at either hi/low. they go from 0 to .3 when switch is turned out, but thats it.

Last edited:
Actually, it sounds like you were using the original wiring to trigger the relays and you lopped off your trigger wire(s).

everything up until my bold print saying "NEW PROBLEM" is all fine n dandy.
I didn't cut my trigger wires. There is a set of wires going to each headlight, I cut the one set, left the other and am using them to trigger my relays. One set goes pass side, one driver, I cut pass side, using driver side for trigger.

Back