• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

more noise (possibly lifters?)

clunk

NAXJA Forum User
It seems that just as I fix one problem, something else pops up.

I had the engine idling this morning for close to half an hour and it didn't make any unusual sounds. Took it for a 10 mile drive, got home and just as I was about to shut the engine off heard a ticking/clacking noise. "oh shit!" I think to myself. Left it running for a few minutes, and observed that the sound was intermittent. It comes and goes, not consistently and it does not stop or start with increased/decreased RPM. Of course, when I redline it the engine makes some other noise which could be covering this loud noise. I spent another 10 minutes with the engine running, waiting for the noise to come back and forth so I could get the screwdriver around to hear where the noise was coming from. I am fairly certain that it's coming from the crankcase, but can't be sure. It sounds like it's coming from the rear of the crankcase.

Another observation:
My warm idle speed in park seems to be a little lower than usual, around 300-400RPM. I noticed this this morning. Usually it would idle warm in park at around 700-800rpm.

I'll do my best to describe the sound: Sounds like the fuel injectors clacking, only alot louder. This is the same sort of metallic tap, it is not a knock at all. Follows the clatter of the valvetrain, meaning when I take the crankcase cap off, I can hear it matches the movement of the vavletrain which I can see(I don't know if that made sense).
Intermittent, comes and goes when it feels like it never for more than a 10 seconds at a time.

Good oil pressure, doesn't burn any oil. Lots of power from the engine.

Is a sticky lifter? Why is it intermittent? Is it good or bad that it's intermittent? The engine has new oil less than a hundred Km's ago. 10W30, I'm not sure what was in there before. Should I just run a can of marvel mystery oil in there?

Sounds like MM oil time for sure!

clunk said:
well I just started it up again and let it run for 5 minutes in hopes of isolating the noise, but there was no noise whatsoever.

:shocked: It's a Jeep thing!

Intermitent is a good sign, means it is not something major or permanent, yet. Would still give it some MM oil.

Is it back near the tranny? Down low in the motor?

If so, you may have some loose bolts on your flexplate... Assuming you have an automatic tranny...

I've had mine back out on me and make a hell of a noise... Pull the inspection plate and have a look, it's worth a try.

If they are loose, loctite them and stick them back in there.

nekocopter said:
Is it back near the tranny? Down low in the motor?

If so, you may have some loose bolts on your flexplate... Assuming you have an automatic tranny...

I've had mine back out on me and make a hell of a noise... Pull the inspection plate and have a look, it's worth a try.

If they are loose, loctite them and stick them back in there.
I'll give it a try, you never know. Would the flexplate bolts be an intermittent thing, though?

" I'll give it a try, you never know. Would the flexplate bolts be an intermittent thing, though?"

Yes, at first. Cold/hot expansion thing until they got looser.

Ecomike said:
" I'll give it a try, you never know. Would the flexplate bolts be an intermittent thing, though?"

Yes, at first. Cold/hot expansion thing until they got looser.
ah that makes sense, I'll check tommorow morning.

So far Ive spent more time fixing this thing than I have driving it, I hate to say it but I'm almost nervous when I drive it--I hardly keep my eyes on the road because I'm half watching the oil pressure gauge in case it drops to zero unexpectedly and half hanging my head out the window to listen for new noises--and that's only after 400km's of owning it.
What worries me is that I have a 900km trip to make across the province soon loaded up with most of my belongings. I really don't want it to die on me in sub-zero temps..that would suck.

clunk said:
ah that makes sense, I'll check tommorow morning.

So far Ive spent more time fixing this thing than I have driving it, I hate to say it but I'm almost nervous when I drive it--I hardly keep my eyes on the road because I'm half watching the oil pressure gauge in case it drops to zero unexpectedly and half hanging my head out the window to listen for new noises--and that's only after 400km's of owning it.
What worries me is that I have a 900km trip to make across the province soon loaded up with most of my belongings. I really don't want it to die on me in sub-zero temps..that would suck.
Just be sure to take some matches, fire wood, a really good winter coat:shiver:, spare battery(s), a fresh copy of the FSM, some wire, wire cutters/stripers, wire terminals, spare hoses, some aspirin, a cell phone, and don't forget the DUCT TAPE! Then you should be good go, :sunshine:

Of course you could just tow a spare Jeep behind ya, LOL.

Been getting mine ready for that big long trip since 2004 :banghead:. Getting real close now! Running out of things to fix and replace.

Actually, I have been lucky. Mine has always whined and complained long before it died, or just refused to start the next time I tried to start it. Never left me stranded anywhere all this time (oh SH** now I have really done it :banghead:).

Just don't turn it off tell you get where you are going and enjoy the Jeep experience!

Ecomike said:
Just be sure to take some matches, fire wood, a really good winter coat:shiver:, spare battery(s), a fresh copy of the FSM, some wire, wire cutters/stripers, wire terminals, spare hoses, some aspirin, a cell phone, and don't forget the DUCT TAPE! Then you should be good go, :sunshine:

And then bring some more Duct Tape, Just in case.

Back