• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil pressure values

dutchjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

When I bought my jeep the oil pressure gauge was jumping around like crazy. I expected it to be the sending unit so took my changes. Now I just replaced the sending unit and I get a nice steady reading. This is what I get: 60 psi when cold, when warmed up it sits close to 60psi when driving and falls to 40psi when idle. I warmed up by driving it for about 20 miles on the highway. I thought the pressure was a bit on the high side after what I read on other threads (minimum of 13psi when warm idle). Does these values (60psi driving; 40psi idle) sound reasonable?

Thanks!

ps. it's a 1992 cherokee, limited (4.0l, sixline) with 145k.

I paid $40 at autozone. I thought it was a rip-off but he, at least it's working again. I think you can get better deals online.

FSM says 13 to 65 PSI is normal, what ever the hel* normal is, LOL:roflmao:.

Yes your readings sound great!

I had issues on my 2.5 in the TJ, it scared the heck out of me the other nite. Pulled the connector and looked at it, the pins on the sender were nice and shiny, the plugs in the socket on the harness were kinda green so I cleaned them up, pressure now is 60 cold, 50 on the hiway and 30 or so at idle.

My 89 reads 13 when hot, but my temp and voltage read low too. Probably a ground problem. There's good flow at the top of the head, so I bet mine, and many others' are just electrical problems in disguise...

Skip

skipc said:
My 89 reads 13 when hot, but my temp and voltage read low too. Probably a ground problem. There's good flow at the top of the head, so I bet mine, and many others' are just electrical problems in disguise...

Skip

I have been wondering about that on mine too, but I am not sure it is a ground problem on the volt meter on mine. I get good voltage until I run the blower or headlights or worse with both on, and the power windows don't work at all unless the headlights and blower are off. Been thinking it is the positive feed through the fuse box for the Acessories that is old and corroded and giving me a voltage drop plus the back and forth wiring through the multitude of switches and relays...

I did note that there was small change in oil pressure with turning on the blower and headlights before I fixed several other things. It was about 3 PSI variation, but it no longer changes since I replaced the alternator, fixed the poor engine to battery ground, etc......

I do still need to test and check the grounds on the dash, ECU and TCU on mine.

Back