• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ticking, clacking noise?

LilRhodyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
It started off that when I started in the cold I would hear a noise I can only explain to you as "a really slow blinker click noise." It would come from the passengers front side and it was subtle and styaed on for around a minute or so. Now I hear it all the time but its very quiet and doesn't really bother me but I'd just like to know what it is. I opened the hood today right in the mourning and started her up. The ticking noise is comign from this little guy...

PB300196.jpg

PB300194.jpg

PB300195.jpg

I put my hand on it and it feels likethere's something trying to get out! In perfect time with the clicking noise is a thudding if you hold it. My question is...

What is this and what's its problem?

Andrew

That is the EGR purge solenoid. It runs on a duty cycle and that is why you hear it clicking. It is normal. I have noticed on my Durango that sometimes it is louder than others. No worries, it is doing what it was designed to do.

I just noticed mine making that noise too!!! So should that be replaced if it is clicking, is that a normal thing, or does that mean it is on its way out?

Also what is this wire supposed to go to? It comes out of the group of wires behind the solenoid that is the only reason I posted it here. I changed my plugs and then I noticed the clicking from that part and this wire with a connector just hanging out. What is it supposed to plug into?

Wire_2.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e298/klennop/Jeep/Wire_2.jpg

Wire_1.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e298/klennop/Jeep/Wire_1.jpg

Thanks

Keith

No clue on the wire, but I am interested in hearing what people have to say about that clicking. My car is doing the same thing from the same spot-- Sorry I am no help besides this bump-- hopefully someone smart can help.

RShotl said:
No clue on the wire, but I am interested in hearing what people have to say about that clicking. My car is doing the same thing from the same spot-- Sorry I am no help besides this bump-- hopefully someone smart can help.

Does yours have that wire? If so can you see where it goes?

hopefully someone knows the answer to this! What is that thing? Mine started clicking too. -Of course I didn't worry about that little noise after my loud knocking started from inside my oil pan!!!

The wire is for your hood light.....

In the top pictures you can see it going up the hood, and then it is missing in the picture where you are holding it......because.......you are holding it :)

Blaine B. said:
The wire is for your hood light.....

In the top pictures you can see it going up the hood, and then it is missing in the picture where you are holding it......because.......you are holding it :)

I noticed that in the top picture but I wasn't sure if that guy was holding it out of the way for his picture. I have the wire then but I am missing the light for it....weird!

klennop said:
I noticed that in the top picture but I wasn't sure if that guy was holding it out of the way for his picture. I have the wire then but I am missing the light for it....weird!

The light never works anyway..don't bother replacing it.

some, like mine, never came with the light! and the conector is just taped to the wiriing loom.

flash.

LilRhodyXJ said:
The light never works anyway..don't bother replacing it.

x2. First thing I did was disconnect it when I bought my Jeep. No need in having a dead battery one morning because the stupid thing didn't go off when I closed the hood the night before.

klennop said:

I still see it coming out of the large loom but not going up the hood...

So yea, light or no light, the plug will be there.

Back