• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new XJ: airbag and check engine lights

MjTjNJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I've graduated from MJ's and bought a 2000 XJ, patriot blue. I got a good deal on it, but the check engine and airbag lights are on. The PO traded it in, and I bought it as-is from the Jeep dealer. They got a code of evaporative emissions leak, so I'm wondering if that's the famous gas cap. I tightened it and cleared the code, but it came back. The dealer had noted that the car needed a $372.00 airbag module. Is that the whole unit on the steering wheel, or a relay of some sort? I think I got a pretty good deal on the XJ, just need to sort a few things out.

Thanks!
TJ

If i'm not mistaken, wasn't there a recall on the later model XJ's involving the air bag module....or some other component related to the air bag system? I believe it was something under the seat that needed to be moved....or something along those lines.

As far as the CEL, take it to autozone and find out exactly what code is being thrown. There is more than one code for an evap leak...some are for small leaks (generally gas cap) and others are for large leaks.

My code reader tells me it's a large leak. I'm going to check the connections. Does airbag light on ALWAYS mean that the problem is the module?

Oh, and to my knowledge, there was no airbag recall on 00 model year XJs.

Thanks!

For a large leak, look for cracked hoses, or hoses that have popped off.

As far as the air bag, i'm not sure. I know that sometimes after a vehicle has sat for a while and you have to jump the battery, it's not uncommon to see the airbag light come on. I've seen it happen on several vehicles, namely a couple of hondas and a ford.

Any idea how long it sat before you picked it up?

There is one recall for 200 XJ's, its fuel system related:
Recall Number: 02V104000

"ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 4.0L ENGINE ONLY, THE DESIGN OF THE INTAKE AND EXHAUST MANIFOLDS COULD ALLOW DEBRIS TO ACCUMULATE AT THE #3 CYLINDER LOCATION."
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.cfm

You can try clearing the code then disconnecting the battery for a couple minutes then reconnecting to see if the airbag code comes back. The dealer should be able to tell you if the airbag or the module needs to be replaced, thats why they have a DRB scanner. There should be a seperate control module for the airbag, in my 98 I believe it was under the center console close to the rear seats. If there isn't an airbag or it has gone off and somebody restuffed it, that could also throw a code.

The control module is $279 at http://www.makeitmopar.com/ (an online MOPAR dealer) you might be able to find them for less on ebay.

Back