• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locking a Dana 35

XJbigman

NAXJA Forum User
I got a 95 cherokee with a 3.5 inch RE lift and 32's. Many people have told me how bad it is to lock the rear and said to just swap in a 44 or 8.8 . There are also many stories about how people wheeled there locked 35 with no problems. If anyone has ideas or suggestions about what to do that would be great.

I can't help with what you need to do but I can say, it depends on what you are doing with it. I am a noobie but notice the great different in answers. From what I can gather a general answer would be your dana 35 locked probably would hold your current set up in most mild to moderate conditions but dont accept that answer as someone who knows lol. I know there is some over kill hype here. I wish I could help.

Bill

For mild to moderate wheeling on 32"s, your locked D35 should be fine. I would consider a rear diff upgrade if you go any size taller with the tires, or if you develop a case of lead-foot. A tguy in my club wheeled his TJ D35 on 37" SSR's for a couple of years before he grenaded it. I wouldn't recommend anything taller than the 32"s for the D35, but people have run them with 35" tires pretty regularly, it all depends on how badly you abuse it.

I am running a 35 lockrite in it and just upgraded to 33's. I have run this sytem for 2 years minus the 33's they were 31's and have had good luck wheelin it.
Now this is where your driving skills comes into play.

But yes you will have different answers all day long. Good Luck!!!

I would (did) only lock a Dana 35 with alloy shafts and less than 33s.

My suggestion is to get a stronger axle. A newer JY 8.25 won't be very much.

funny you should ask. i have been runnin a locker (Powertrax) and yukon axles in my 35 for about 7 years, way before i knew better, and before i new of any sites like this. anyhow mine has been trouble free up until last week. heard a louder than usual bang, lost rear wheel drive and so i made it into the garage in front wheel drive. so last night i finally pulled the axles and the carrier, this morning i took the locker out and found one little tooth on one of the syncro rings broke. which explains the little piece of crunched steel i found in the bottom of the housing. having said all that, i'm still gonna get a new part put it back together and wheel it like i always did. as far as startin from scratch on a new axle, i would definitely start with something else stronger, given the choice, ( and enough money) oh, i run 32" swamper tsl's (Swampers are taller than most tires) off road, Bfg at's on the street. above advice is good, no bigger than 33" tires with a locker, easy on the skinny pedal and it might live a long time. BUT, if you want to climb every hill, rock, etc., no matter what, then build a different axle. my .02

if you don't have a billion pounds of useless crap on your Jeep you will be fine.

Those roof racks, tire racks, shovels, and other stuff just add more reason to break something.

I had a Dana35 with a Detroit that I ran for about 20 trail runs, first with 31's then 33's, then 35's. Broke an axle a couple of runs after going to the 35's. That was the first time I broke anything and I ran it pretty hard. I was lucky that when the axle broke it didn't take out the Detroit and I carried spare axles.

It might hold up fine but the only way you find out is after you spend a lot of money. I wouldn't put that kind of money into a D35 again, even if I were sure I was staying with 32's or smaller.

Back