• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Current state of the NWC?

GI-John

NAXJA Forum User
Maybe this is too early in the year to ask, but I'm curious and would like to know.

What is the current state of our chapter? I really haven't heard much from the BOD since NWfest. (other than personal PM's)

IE:
What plans do we have for the next formal NWC run?
Is there a formal meet and greet scheduled? If so, when?
When are we going to start planning for NWfest 07?
What monies do we have available in our slush fund?
What are the plans for NWC swag?

Please chime in if there are any questions you would also like to know or answers that you can give.

John

well, matt you gunna answer him?

Seems to me like there is some tension between members.

Im not one to take sides in certian situations.

I think we need to put all the past drama/bullshit/negativity/comments/dislikings/ect... behind us.

Lets not dwell on things of the past.

Lets move on, continue to have a great time, as a Chapter together.

Take it for what its worth...

My .02.

GI-John said:
Maybe this is too early in the year to ask, but I'm curious and would like to know.

What is the current state of our chapter? I really haven't heard much from the BOD since NWfest. (other than personal PM's)
You guys were cookin' your own stuff, so I didn't want to break your stride. ;)

IE:
What plans do we have for the next formal NWC run?
Is there a formal meet and greet scheduled? If so, when?
When are we going to start planning for NWfest 07?
What monies do we have available in our slush fund?
What are the plans for NWC swag?
Working on something for a formal run. I'm not setting anything up for this time of year, as it's traditionally the 'off season' for a major gathering. I'm working on another n00b run/wheeling clinic that should be a good time.

Formal meet and greet? You mean like the one tonight? If not, then I've got something coming in the Spring that'll be fun. Think 'field trip'.

Planning for NWFest07 is going on right now. I'll have dates within the next two weeks. It'll be out at Liberty. Date will be announced along with the clinic/n00b run and field trip dates.

We had a significant amount the last time I saw...but I'll leave that up to the Treas to answer. :)

Swag? Plans are to get something going. If you've got something in mind and want to shoot it our way, feel free. :)

I think the tension that Eli is talking about is the 'hard time' that folks tend to give for their perception of 'web wheeling.' Keep in mind that there are generally two groups around here: Enthusiasts and wheelers. If wheelers want to encourage more wheeling, perhaps they should change their tactics and be more tolerant of those they want to wheel. Not everyone is into wheeling, at least the same way you are, and are more of the enthusiasts of the little unibody SUVs. Some of us just can't be out every weekend and make priorities based on our pocketbooks. I love being on the trail just as much as the next guy, but when I make a choice between doing that and getting into the duck blind during the relatively short season, guess where I'm going to end up? Does it make me a web wheeler because I don't eat, sleep, Jeep? Maybe so. Do I give a purple rat's flying fawk? Nope. ;) All in all, the 'quiet' types I chat with on the side comment that they don't feel like they can hit the trails because of the tension. 'It seems like I'm not going to be able to make these trails that they all do.' I don't have a problem with someone organizing a difficult run (have done it myself), but waving in peoples' faces that 'I can and you can't' doesn't create much comfort, you know?

This is the North American XJ Association, let's find a way to associate our diversity. ;)

If you have any ideas of stuff you would like, PM one or all of the BOD. This Chapter isn't what the BOD makes of it, it's what the collective NWC makes of it. :viking:

Great points Phil, thanks for the responses.

I'd like to see this chapter move forward, because it seems like it has stagnated. I asked the questions because I haven't heard much (if anything) about upcoming events or even ideas from the leadership about where we are, where we're going, etc. The members of our chapter would like to know about, participate in, and be proud of this chapter. As members we deserve to know these things from our Leadership.

Stepping off my soapbox to go wrench on a Jeep.

John

Planning for NWFest07 is going on right now. I'll have dates within the next two weeks. It'll be out at Liberty. Date will be announced along with the clinic/n00b run and field trip dates. Yahoo:)

wheeling, at least the same way you are, and are more of the enthusiasts of the little unibody SUVs. Some of us just can't be out every weekend and make priorities based on our pocketbooks.
I agree,and some of the rigs I`ve seen are to nice to trach and are the DD of some.

This is the North American XJ Association, let's find a way to associate our diversity. ;)

There are places to go and see that involve more pavement and gravel roads so that" everyones XJ/MJ /driver/passengers" could enjoy and be the NAXJA NW Chapter
and thats my .03 worth

My understanding is this.

1. I try to go wheeling 1 a month, I always post it on the chapter web and try to make it clear what type of event it should be and what type of vehicle should be adaquate. I am not trying to do anything but include those who want to be included and make it clear in advance what to expect. This time of year I try to do snow runs. I have the "hypothermia" run planned so that people can come for the day (either day) or can spend the night because people requested that type of activity and I offered to help plan it. The next snow run I will plan on several groups (DD, stock) and (Modified). This is supposed to be a "formal" run (what does that mean? I don't really know yet, I still need to understand that from the BOD). But this is my intent.

2. I am not into meet and greet's. 1 or 2 a year is great, more than that I just don't have time for. It is great for others and I might even attend once in a while, but if someone wants to make it a formal consistent thing then someone should stand up and take responsibility for it.

3. I try to be "polite" to those who I don't know well or who don't know me well. The people I do know well I can nudge and they can nudge me. In general I think this site is "reasonably" PC, I guess we could all be a little more careful what we say and how we say it.

4. I am not aware of the "issues" that people are having. Maybe I am blind, or maybe I am just not apart of them, not really sure. However, I do have a couple of issues of my own that I need to deal with with a small handful of people and I will do it in my own way, on my own time, and I will take responsibility for the way that I deal with it. If there are issues that we need to take care of as a group I suggest we discuss them and get the group involved, we don't all want the same thing from this group, but we had all better understand that we should all respect others opinions, feelings, etc.

5. Swag, if something comes up, I will support, but it's not huge to me.

6. The "Other" runs that we all discussed at NWfest are the clean up's. THey have been started, and should have much more in Feb as I understand it. Karl has done a wonderful job of keeping us all in the loop on this. And I suspect that Matt and or Karl will continue to do this up North. Someone else was going to do this down in Portland area (sorry, can recall who off the top of my head).

my .04
Michael

we are all just peachy down south. can't speek for everyone though.

we have been putting together a run approx once a month, open to all, and trying to post everyone of them to the public.

M&G's have become a regular thing now and are drawing more folks everytime.

speeking only for myself, i will say that i am interested in hearing more about whats going on behind the scenes and or in the works etc...

as for the portland area clean up - there was one scheduled, but canceled due to snow fall amounts in TSF area. I am in touch with the right people now, and it seems there is not much planned this time of year. most of the damage is being done as we speek and work party's will begin this spring. (i will keep everyone posted)

I would like to submit the idea of branching off the portland / vanc area into there own chapter. although i am not sure the time is right yet. i know we talk at our M&G's and most are not willing to make the journey up north for day trips, M&G's, holiday socials, etc...therefore we kinda plan our own trips etc...i know i would love to see more formal events down our way. NWfest was a blast!

as for the negative stuff, i must say that compared to what i read in other chapter threads the fun we poke seems to be just that "fun".

just my .01 thats all i got time for :loveu: NAXJA :loveu:

CanMan said:
How was the Hunting trip?

Goose jerky is marinatin' in teh fridge. :illegalroflflipoffsmilie:

Flooded corn field FTW. :yelclap:

duckhunt.png

I didn't even know you guys do noob runs/clinics. I would be very interested in learning some pointers from the more experienced guys. I'm also anticipating the next meet and greet.

I look forward to meeting some of you on sunday.

-Jeff

XJNana said:
I didn't even know you guys do noob runs/clinics. I would be very interested in learning some pointers from the more experienced guys. I'm also anticipating the next meet and greet.

I look forward to meeting some of you on sunday.

-Jeff

I'm very interested in the noob run/clinic as I am just about as new as they get to the 4x4 world. Please dont tell me that the one on sunday is one?:(

Tom

Disclaimer: Everything in this post is serious and heartfelt. I wrote it with the intent of generating discussion and fostering productive ideas from everyone. It is also written with respect and sincerity. I'm stating this because I do not want to piss people off or ruffle feathers, and the internet can be a difficult medium in which to convey these thoughts. So, with that, enjoy.

I've been mulling over this thread all weekend. It's a very good thing the questions were asked, and a lot of good points have been brought up in the discussion. I'd like to make a few points of my own and maybe even ask some questions as well.
CanMan said:
Seems to me like there is some tension between members.

I think we need to put all the past drama/bullshit/negativity/comments/dislikings/ect... behind us.

Lets not dwell on things of the past.

Lets move on, continue to have a great time, as a Chapter together.
I really do not believe this is the case, and if it is I must be totally oblivious to it. Disagreement on various issues does not mean there is tension or drama, just that there are varying thoughts on where we as a club should be.
ECKSJAY said:
You guys were cookin' your own stuff, so I didn't want to break your stride. ;)
We were cooking, but only because the restaurant was closed. The runs that have been put together lately have, for the most part, not been open invitation events, and mostly not discussed prior to the pics being posted after the run. These have been small, self contained runs among a few friends, organized over the phone.
We could be doing that without NAXJA; to me, part of being in a club like ours is having official events and gettogethers.

Oktoberfest is a notable exception, and look at the turn out to that event; it tells me that people want more of that type of semi-official event.
ECKSJAY said:
Working on something for a formal run. I'm not setting anything up for this time of year, as it's traditionally the 'off season' for a major gathering. I'm working on another n00b run/wheeling clinic that should be a good time.
Good to hear. What ever became of the survival school event you and John were working on? Not trying to stick it to you, but we heard about that for a long time and never saw anything come of it.

ECKSJAY said:
Formal meet and greet? You mean like the one tonight?
Yeah, that was great. Something organized by the Chapter leadership would be fantastic, too. So far we've had two unofficial M&Gs and one unofficial Holiday party that was organized in lieu of the one you had originally promised to put together. Again, not trying to stick it to you, really, but just pointing out that every chapter activity since, and before, NWFest was an unofficial, unsupported, member organized undertaking. I just think most people are looking to you, Scott and Mark to get these type of events going and have not found that to be the case. Maybe it's just that we don't get to see what's going on behind the curtain, but that's why John asked the question.

ECKJAY said:
Planning for NWFest07 is going on right now. I'll have dates within the next two weeks. It'll be out at Liberty. Date will be announced along with the clinic/n00b run and field trip dates.
Sounds good, and I know we're all looking forward to marking the dates on our calenders. Liberty is a good choice, one that was suggested after Eli and I went with the Seattle Jeep Club back in September. The only down side is Eli and I both agreed that we were dustier after one day at Liberty than three at TSF, just for perspective.
ECKSJAY said:
Swag? Plans are to get something going. If you've got something in mind and want to shoot it our way, feel free. :)
I thought we just did this?

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=903647&highlight=hoodie

Most clubs I'm familiar with do it the other way around, but whatever gets me a NWC hoodie before Summer I'm fine with. Maybe then I can stop wearing my PNWJeep one to NAXJA events. ;)

ECKSJAY said:
I think the tension that Eli is talking about is the 'hard time' that folks tend to give for their perception of 'web wheeling.' Keep in mind that there are generally two groups around here: Enthusiasts and wheelers. If wheelers want to encourage more wheeling, perhaps they should change their tactics and be more tolerant of those they want to wheel.
I really don't see this being the way things are, but maybe that because I'm in the 'wheeler' category? :dunno: If you could read my PM inbox (can you...?) you'd see the back channel conversations I have with people who are new to the sport. Overwhelmingly, I would love to see these people out on the trails. Naturally, there are some places better suited to these people (as you and I have discussed, Phil, leading to the first n00bfest last year) and some experience is needed before just driving up the Little Rubicon and seeing what happens.

The little M&Gs we've been having almost every month are a great way for these people you're talking about to meet us and get a feel for the kind of wheeling we do, what to expect, when they can come ride along on one of our trips (seats are almost always open and encouraged to be filled) before joining us with their rigs. Maybe I should articulate this better before our next M&G as to allay the apprehension of the people you're referring to.

ECKSJAY said:
I don't have a problem with someone organizing a difficult run (have done it myself), but waving in peoples' faces that 'I can and you can't' doesn't create much comfort, you know?
Nobody ever waved in any one's face 'minimum requirements' in the way you're talking about. I think you're totally off the mark here. Not only were the requirements relaxed to the point that we had nearly DOUBLE the vehicles that I originally intended, but the offer was made to, and accepted by several people, to ride along on the day we were going to be hitting the really difficult trails. I think that was made pretty clear to everyone.

I think Jason (Casper) can attest that the last times I've wheeled with him (Evans at the PNW M&G and Walker this weekend) I've been more than happy to come along and spot, pull cable and help push him over obstacles. I'm always willing to do that for anyone who needs the help. I really love wheeling and I love showing other people the joys of being out in nature with your Jeep and your friends.

ECKSJAY said:
I agree. I want to build a 2WD race XJ. I'm not sure what "associate our diversity" means, though. Really, what are you talking about?

ECKSJAY said:
This Chapter isn't what the BOD makes of it, it's what the collective NWC makes of it.
Seriously, Phil, this is again not meant as disrespect, an insult, or any kind of dig at you personally, but right now the chapter is ONLY what 'we' make of it. We just want some direction. As John said,
GI-John said:
I'd like to see this chapter move forward, because it seems like it has stagnated. I asked the questions because I haven't heard much (if anything) about upcoming events or even ideas from the leadership about where we are, where we're going, etc. The members of our chapter would like to know about, participate in, and be proud of this chapter. As members we deserve to know these things from our Leadership.

Sorry this has gone on so long, but I honestly care and want, as John said, to see this Chapter move forward and grow both in terms of membership, but also in terms of involvement...not all of it on the internet.

-----Matt-----

Now how is anyone supposed to reply after that "Quote-fest"? Are you gonna quote the quoter quoting a quote next?

Great points though, thanks for your input.

GI-John said:
Now how is anyone supposed to reply after that "Quote-fest"? Are you gonna quote the quoter quoting a quote next?

Great points though, thanks for your input.

:rof:

Edits to Matt's post.

Since Oregon is part of the NW Chapter, we could up that number of M&G's since NWFest due to Portland activity.

With comments made with my name involved. D@mn, I owe one beer to Rick and two to Matt.

ECKSJAY said:
I

This has been mulling through my head since the thread started. And like the others, this isn't intended to offend anyone, rather just some thoughts from an old fart that's been around a little in this world. Also pardon me for the length of the reply.

My interpretation of what eckjay's statement is flows like this. First off this is an "association" not a 4x4 "club" per se. An association has many many different people in it that are united in a general direction. Take the Shriners for instance, they all work towards the funding of the Crippled Children's Hospitals. But, people being people, everyone doesn't dance to the same tune, so the organization/association has "clubs" within the group. The clubs are composed of Shriners, and they also have their own club officers and events/projects. The clubs fall under the guidance and regulations of the parent Shriners's Temple or Chapter for explnation purposes here. As with the NWC, the local/area Shriner's Temples all fall under a National body.

So what the clubs allow is for various members to join with other members that more or less dance to the same tune to go off and do their version of their "thing" and thus you see Shriner Clowns, Motorcycle Corps, go-karts, and so on.

My two bits worth of comments here is that I think our NWC and maybe even the whole national NAXJA needs to take in the function of "clubs" within Chapters, or even at large. The other thing ecksjay was alluding to in his comments were that everyone in the Association doesn't dance to the same tune of what 4X4ing is. Everyone doesn't build up their rig with 44" tires. Some people's rig is their daily driver. Some people don't have the money or equipment/tools to build up an offroader's showpiece. Some people don't mind beating the crap out of their rig on a very difficult trail. Some people are content to run on forest service roads/trails that aren't liable to damage the body of their vehicle. Some people are in to mud bogs, or sand dunes.......... Some really worry about how they will get a broken rig back to a home that's hundreds of miles away as they don't have a trailer or twoing rig. The point being we are all different. We don't live close together, we are really spread out. It is hard to get people from a large spread out area together. And the farther the event from their home, usually the harder it is to get the people together. Personally I'm overjoyed to see NWFest this year at Liberty. However I also realize that is it more or less a "bummer" for a number of the Oregon crowd due to the distance... sort of like the NWFest last year in TSF for me, due to time distance and money. We don't see people from Spokane generally running over to the coast.

From where I sit in the Tri-Cities, many activities look more like a Portland or Seattle thing. Not that that's bad, that's where the people are. I think the purpose of the NWC Chapter is to get a couple activities a year in as neutral a place as possible to allow the maximum number of people to attend. If there are wheeling activities there should be multiple kinds of wheeling. I also think that if NAXJA intends to grow, the time has come to form "Clubs" within, that are more aligned with NAXJA members doing their kind of wheeling. Then members can align with other members that are more in to "their" tastes in wheeling. And that's where the "diversity" statement comes in in eckjay's quote above. I think he was trying to say something to t he effect that we (NWC) need to associate as an Association (NAXJA NWC) keeping in mind the diversified jeeping and 4x4ing tastes of the general membership at large.

With clubs you can have the "rough riders" or the "senic cruisers" or whatever. Other NAXJA members could join a club activity if they wanted and their vehicle met the clubs requirements for the run. No one would have to feel then that they just didn't conform, and end up drifting away and dropping their NAXJA membership which the National Association doesn't care to see I'm sure.

And last but not least. Because some members spend more time here posting on the NAXJA BBS site than wheeling with others in the chapter is really pretty insignificant. If they have paid the membership fee, they have shown their interest in XJ's. Many members wheel with other groups and organizations because they are close to where they live, or their close friend wheels somewhere else. One of the true beauties of this organization is that it is a place where an XJ owner can go to meet others that are also in to XJ's. There's things called friends to be met, and enjoy their company, and offer and receive help. There's some really cool people here. Lets try and keep them interested and *here* and not unintentionally alienate some of them because they don't think or do the same "wheeling" as others may or may not do. Let a wheeling club be where "birds of a feather flock together."

Last edited:
wow, very well said.

Back