• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP...jacked up leaf pack...pic.

blk88

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 8" RK lift and the pass. rear leaf pack is jacked up. Last weekend the small leaf fell off the pack. Tonight I found out that the spring pin was broken into 3 pieces and 2 of the remaining 4 leaves slid and the hole through the leaves don't line up. They are actually 4" off. In the pic the screwdriver is in pin hole and you can see how far off they are. I tried to slide the leaves in the pack to line the holes up and I could only get them to move about 1/8." Any ideas?
http://members.cox.net/bbair4/rear spring.JPG

What is holding the leafs together?

I would put 2 c clamps on it and remove the spring retainers. Then open the c clamps till the leafs move with a hammer tap.

I posted this on JeepForum too and that's what everyone is saying. I've never taken a leaf pack apart before I was wasn't sure what I could do. Thanks!

yeah, just loosen everything up, realign, put new centering pin in, done. Stock is 5/16th. Some aftermaker leaf packs for the XJ use a 3/8" center pin.

You can buy them at Ace hardware for a dollar or so. Might as well grab a new nut too.

Exact same thing happened to me. I had aluminum shims under there that broke. That caused the leafs in the pack to move around a little bit, sheering off the center pin. Small leaf on the bottom fell out. Funny thing is I never found it, it's still around this town somewhere. Oh well. Like everybody said, I just got new centering pins. Real cheap.

Scott

I assume you understand that what caused the problem was not keeping the u-bolts tight. Doing what we do, we all should check them as a part of regular maintenance.

BTW, you said you broke the bottom leaf, the bottom leaf off of any other pack should work fine as a replacement.

I didn't break the bottom spring. It slipped out of the pack in a parking lot so I still have it. I had everything looked at a few months ago since it was a new lift and I had it out for a mild trip. Other than that it's been driven on the street a day here and a day there. I didn't know that nylon nuts would back off so quickly and easily. I will regularly check my u-bolts. I didn'y know that was the cause. Thanks Goatman!

crasy1_69 said:
its not so much the nylock nuts backing off its the u bolts stretching as they settle.

Yep.

Pretty sure the manufacturers recommend checking and re-torquing the u-bolts after a couple hundred miles and every so often afterwards.

At least you have all the leaves and it didn't damage anything or cause an accident.

Well I got her all done. I had to grind the rivets off the leaf spring pack and repack it. I've never done that before so it was fun. Thanks for all of the help and I will make sure that u-bolt are checked regularly. I don't want that coming apart on the trail. BTW Goatman...you have a nice rig.

honestly i'd be more worried about it coming apart on the road then on the trail. at least on the trail you aren't driving real fast and won't cause a major accident.

i've broken my bottom leaf springs offroad and then had them fall out.

Back