• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ever changed out your spider gears before?!?!

UndrTheInfleunce

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, i have some worked spider gears im replacing and im having problems taking apart other differentials to get the spider gears out. Maybe you can help me out.

The problem starts right after i open the differential casing. I try to pull out the pin that holds the larger cylinder that the smaller gears spin on. The thing is on mine it was a small hex head bolt in there. In these other cherokees at the junkyard im trying to pull some from they have some kind of weird pin with a small gap in it the length of the pin. I couldnt figure out how to get it out. I did notice a small hole on the other side of the pin hole but i couldnt tap the pin out or wrench it out at all.

does anyone have any advice???

Brad
NAXJA

Its not a hex head, I can see why you may think that.
It's a pin about 1.25" long. You must use thin screwdriver and punch it out through the acess hole in the carrier. It comes right out. I used a phillips.
Then the large spider gear cross pin will slide out effortlessly.

Thanks guys. I did try to punch it out but not very hard because mine had threads and i didnt want to mess it up. Ill try harder next time since i know i have to punch it out.

Brad
NAXJA

Yeah i tried pushing out a little bit. I gave up because i thought it had threads like mine though. Now that i know what to do i should be able to punch it out.

Thanks for all the help.

Brad
NAXJA
Arizona

Back