• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 won't shift out of first in "1-2"

mortskeg

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,

I did some searching around and couldn't find a thread related to the exact issue I'm having; however, if this has been covered before I apologize, and would appreciate any links to get me going in the right direction.

Vehicle: '93 XJ country, 4.0, AW4

I bought my xj in October, so I'm still pretty new to it and jeeps in general. The transmission works as advertised in all selectable positions except 1-2. When I select 1-2 it just stays in 1st, until I select either 3 or D. I haven't wrapped it out to see if it would shift into second closer to the rev limiter, but I was definatley above the normal shift point.

Normally I'd be happy to just drive around in D, but come nicer weather I'll hopefully be towing around my runabout boat, and there are some cases when it would be nice to be able to downshift into 2nd for some medium speed hills. I've read that the TCU? can cause some other problems, but didn't sound like what I'm having. Also I know that I need to clean my NSS, as the reverse lights aren't working and starting in P sometimes doesn't work without a quick jiggle. I don't think this is related to the NSS but wanted to see what you guys think.

Any tips welcome, and thanks in advance!:cheers:

Thanks GGR! Boy that thread was just from yesterday and I still couldn't find it. Oh well, thanks for the link.

nekocopter said:
AW4 will not shift to 2nd in 1-2 regardless of thottle position until redline.. That's how they're built.
Now I know, sorry to litter the site with rookie questions. Glad to hear that my trans is working correctly. :thumbup:

The backup lights not working/having to jiggle it in park/neutral to start is a faulty NSS.
Jeepin.com has a great write up for properly removing and cleaning the unit. Easy to break it off if you don't follow the right procedure.
here is a link to the article:
http://www.jeepin.com/features/nss/

here is a link to the AW4 manual. I'll post the website which has many, many useful manuals/how-to's. The AW4 manual can be downloaded in .ZIP format from thier server:
http://www.greatlakesxj.com/tech.html

Back