• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gearing question-

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm finally changing complete axles front and back to get 4:11/4:10.
The rear diff is 4:10 gearing and the front diff from another wrecker is 4:11's. The guy from the latter wrecker says it won't make any difference to run 4:11 front and 4:10 rear. I live in B.C. and we get a fair amount of snow and I use my 4wd on a regular basis including highway driving (np242 with part time and full time 4wd). Will this pose to be a problem?He said older fords ran 4:09 front and 4:10 rear and that there's no problem as long as I'm not on hard pavement. Thanks!

Its always that way.Every different type of axle has a variation of ring/pinion tooth count.

Anything within about .08 is considered 'the same'. The difference between 4.10 and 4.11 is like the difference between having 32 psi in one tire and 28 psi in another tire.

Thats what I thought,They have the same number teeth and everything. I work at a scoobie dealer and they say to replace all four tires at the same time to prevent center diff damage, but you can replaced just two if they are the same brand,model, and you have more than 50% tread left on the ones your keeping. I've had people that mixed brands even though they are the same size and caused damage to their center diff clutch packs or viscous couplings.

Back