• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

YJ to XJ axle swap

boise49ers

NAXJA Forum User
I have bought axles from a 93 YJ w/disconnect and I want to put them in my 1988 XJ with the same set up. The YJ axles are larger along with the larger u-joints. Is there anything else I will need to change on the XJ before installing ? Are the seals the same ? I know they say change the seals when you pull an axle, but I've had them out 4 times and never have and they don't leak.When they leak then I will. Thanks for any help !

Yep that is true, except I notice where the seals go on the shafts that it tapers down there. So I'm not sure if they are the same and I have no Micrometers to check. Just hoping some one knows. Also will the YJ hubs bolt up just like an XJ ? I'm trying to prevent any swap day surprises if you know what I mean. I need it for work the next day. :repair:

the unit bearings are the same on all pre 91 dana 30's from my experience and if the axle shafts are the disco version with the larger U joints then they will fit into the XJ axle without any mods. This also means that the yj axle has already been converted to 95 shafts. the 93 came stock with the smaller 260 joints from the factory

xjnation said:
the unit bearings are the same on all pre 91 dana 30's from my experience and if the axle shafts are the disco version with the larger U joints then they will fit into the XJ axle without any mods. This also means that the yj axle has already been converted to 95 shafts. the 93 came stock with the smaller 260 joints from the factory

x2

I installed 95 YJ axles into my 87 XJ just to gain the bigger U-joints. While you have them out, go ahead and put full-circle C-clips on them.

They are almost 10cms larger. Looks like about 9cm. See how they taper towards the splines like I said ? The middle broken shaft is the XJ Shaft.

xjnation said:
No Im not I have both sets here in front of me in the garage......they are the same

axles.jpg

XJaxle.jpg

YJaxle.jpg

boise49ers said:
Yep that is true, except I notice where the seals go on the shafts that it tapers down there. So I'm not sure if they are the same and I have no Micrometers to check. Just hoping some one knows. Also will the YJ hubs bolt up just like an XJ ? I'm trying to prevent any swap day surprises if you know what I mean. I need it for work the next day. :repair:

A crescent wrench is a good makshift shaft measuring tool ie micrometer.

where your axle broke is the same exact diameter as the other or it wont fit into the gear case. So it is the weak point. who cares if the rest of the axle is wider. it makes no difference

xjnation said:
where your axle broke is the same exact diameter as the other or it wont fit into the gear case. So it is the weak point. who cares if the rest of the axle is wider. it makes no difference

Well yeah I knew that. I figured on getting an answer like that. Kind of funny how you can read people from just reading a post. I said earlier where it tapered down. Must be wonderful to always be right even if your wrong.

xjnation said:
nope direct swap....... and the diameter difference is in your mind...LOL other than different U joints the axles are nearly identical
OK I'm over it I apoligize for getting snippy. I got the flippin flu. This line got under my skin, but after re-reading the thread this morning I see I was being a child. :peace:

boise49ers said:
OK I'm over it I apoligize for getting snippy. I got the flippin flu. This line got under my skin, but after re-reading the thread this morning I see I was being a child. :peace:

Its cool...........I thought you where trying to be funny......it worked:confused1

Back