• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Revolver Shackles XJ good or bad? what else...

Jason Sease

NAXJA Forum User
89 XJ 3.5 RE leafs 2'' blocks cut 3* (bolted) Currie SYE custom 6'' slip yoke driveline, Gusseted dana 35C W/Yukon axles Locrite locker 456's, antiwrap bar with custom crossmember, 1/8" plated frame area where shackles mount and front side of leafsprings mount, AND terraflex revolver shackles

My question is are the revolver shackles good or bad? I just fabed up the antiwrap bar and installed the revolver shackles. Don't want to test untill I've done all that I can to insure that there will be no spring issues , axle issues, or driveline issues! To much spent with no trail time to have problems that can't be addressed first. With much thanks, Jason in pa. (KeystoneCrawlers)

WHAT ELSE DO I NEED!!!!!!!!!!!

Jason Sease said:
89 XJ 3.5 RE leafs 2'' blocks cut 3* (bolted) Currie SYE custom 6'' slip yoke driveline, Gusseted dana 35C W/Yukon axles Locrite locker 456's, antiwrap bar with custom crossmember, 1/8" plated frame area where shackles mount and front side of leafsprings mount, AND terraflex revolver shackles

My question is are the revolver shackles good or bad? I just fabed up the antiwrap bar and installed the revolver shackles. Don't want to test untill I've done all that I can to insure that there will be no spring issues , axle issues, or driveline issues! To much spent with no trail time to have problems that can't be addressed first. With much thanks, Jason in pa. (KeystoneCrawlers)

WHAT ELSE DO I NEED!!!!!!!!!!!

Basically, the Revolver shackles don't provide any increase in trail performance. The extra droop that they provide just isn't needed in the real world, and they introduce a few negatives into the equation. The RE springs flex pretty good, and the traction bar will help with putting power to the ground. The Revolver shackles can fight against getting power to the ground, since they will want to extend under power making it more difficult to make steep climbs.

it seems like people with them like them, and people without them have a lot of theorys of why their bad. 2 of the 4 XJs i wheel with have them, and although i can definately see where the droop they add doesn't necessarily help a lot, it certainly doesn't hurt to have a tire on the ground instead of in the air. going uphill..never seen a problem there. actually, over the weekend, there was a pretty good hillclimb that some open cherokees with 35s had been struggling with, and he drove right up it, with revolvers. he then came down a hill, which without exaggerating your pushing against the windshield, and they didn't unload

put them on, if you like them leave them, if not take them off...along with any other mod ever made for jeeps

I would think that they would cuase problems with a traction bar. JMO though.

Driveline issues, the 35 is a no no, but I guess you've put that much into it, might as well wheel it till it comes appart.

I ran them for 5 years. I loved em. I ran many class 4+ trails with them and never where an issue. I never had them open up on off camber or a downhill.
Never had them open up on the street or while making panic maneuvers.

But just buying the shackles is not enough. moving shock mounts, different shocks, extended brake lines, extended emergency brake lines, long travel drive shaft......... To get them to work it takes work. you cant just throw them on and expect them to be of benefit.

All that being said...... you can get a properly built set of springs to work just as well

I had 'em.
Didn't notice any difference, good or bad, than before I had them.
Sold 'em.

I put them in at the same time as front and rear lockers. With the lockers, it didn't matter if I was lifting a tire off the ground a little anymore, so other than making for kewl flex pics, the Revolvers gave me no benefits.

i have them now and i love them i have 5 inches of lift and no lockers but my tires dont ever come off the ground im going to the badlands for the first time with it in march will have it welded in the rear before i go but i love them flexs like crazy

since this is about revolver shackles, i wanna ask a question to the "for revolver" guys about a certain scenerio.

dsc_0024edited.jpg

in this picture my FRONT driver side knuckle is actually touching the coil spring and was pushing it against the frame. the REAR driver side tire was BARELY making contact with the ground, but is still enough to get dirt in the lugs.

so my question is. if i can max my front and still touch the ground in the rear, what benefits if any would i see from the revolver shackles???

Back