• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 - "12" gear?

Gaius

NAXJA Forum User
On my 98 Sport, when in '12', it won't shift up into 2nd from 1st. It'll shift down from 2nd to 1st if I'm at speed, bit will not go up.

I can't really recall from my 88, but it's supposed to shift up, correct? It's welcome if I wheel it, but this is her DD and '12' is nice during inclement weather.

Any thoughts?

my mom's 96 is the same way, i belive its built that way so that the computer can use it as a saftey if it overheats (friend w/ a tj locks in 1st if run off road for a long period) as for downshifting, its a little dangerous to go from 1:1 ratio to first gear, so they put in the 2nd position in downshifting to keep tires from squalling.

BrettM said:
yep. there are a variety of fixes, from simple toggle switches to complete controllers.

oh yes, the 3 position toggle works great when you need that 2nd gear before 4k+

Yeah, 4700 is what? 300rpm's before redline... Sorry.

They WILL shift, but it's around redline before they do.. If you want second, bump it up into 3 and it will shift.

Back