• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what needs to be done to front DS for SYE

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

im going to a junkyard this weekend to pick up a front driveshaft to use for my PORC sye. can i just take it off of 1 XJ (yes automatic), and bolt it into the rear of mine, or do i need to replace u-joints..if so, anybody got any part numbers??

Most definetly replace u joint dont want that work to go to waste, plus its cheaper to replace a u-joint than driveshaft.

wishihad1 said:
hey everybody

im going to a junkyard this weekend to pick up a front driveshaft to use for my PORC sye. can i just take it off of 1 XJ (yes automatic), and bolt it into the rear of mine, or do i need to replace u-joints..if so, anybody got any part numbers??

You need to specify which transmission and rear axle you have in your Jeep 'cause there are different combinations and these affect the length of driveshaft that you'll need.
e.g. Rear D44-equipped XJ needs a 2" shorter driveshaft for the rear than one with a D35.
The front driveshaft from an automatic XJ might just be long enough if your rear axle is a D44 or a Chrysler 8.25, but it's too short if you have a D35. For the latter, a front driveshaft from a '93-'95 5.2 ZJ might just be long enough.
Of course you should install new u-joints whichever driveshaft you use.

Also, if you pull one from a XJ with a vacuum disconnect equipped axle, chances are, the DS is still like brand new. Since it is not turning unless in 4wd, and considering most cherokees hardly ever see 4wd, they have hardly ever turned!

Yes, we need to know your tranny, axle, and lift height.

If you have an automatic, it's the Aisin-Warner AW4. If it's a manual, it'll either be the Aisin AX15 ('89.5-'99.5) or the New Venture Gear NVG3550 ('99.5-'01).
What year is your Jeep?

Not trying to hi-jack thread, just wanting in on the info.

I just did a 3.5" lift and i got vibes so i am looking at same thing. I do have a T-case drop kit and the axle is not shimmed at this time.

96 XJ
AW4
NP231 (with boot over splines)
8.25 rear
3.5" of lift.

The yard in my area is filled with late 80s XJs autos and manuals. With a PORC SYE what Front DS do i need?

Back