• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

radiator space and electric fan...

scorpio_vette

NAXJA Forum User
i've read tons of writeups on here about installing dual electric fans and eliminating the belt driven fan, but one thing i never noticed is if anybody moved their radiator forward a bit to allow for more "relaxed" fan options. everybody keeps going for super tight fans because of the space allowance. well i removed my entire stock a/c system and so i was wondering if anybody has any knowledge/ideas/experience with moving the radiator forward a bit since the the a/c condensor is gone now, and then that would also allow for more room for an electric fan.

and since i'm bored and looking for some more "cheap projects" to do on my jeep in the near future, in what order would you prioritize these add-ons.

power steering cooler
upgrade tranny cooling
tranny temp gauge
dual electric fan setup

scorpio_vette said:
i've read tons of writeups on here about installing dual electric fans and eliminating the belt driven fan, but one thing i never noticed is if anybody moved their radiator forward a bit to allow for more "relaxed" fan options. everybody keeps going for super tight fans because of the space allowance. well i removed my entire stock a/c system and so i was wondering if anybody has any knowledge/ideas/experience with moving the radiator forward a bit since the the a/c condensor is gone now, and then that would also allow for more room for an electric fan.

and since i'm bored and looking for some more "cheap projects" to do on my jeep in the near future, in what order would you prioritize these add-ons.

power steering cooler
upgrade tranny cooling
tranny temp gauge
dual electric fan setup
Search for Tugboat's write-up on installing another electric fan in his. IIRC he moved his radiator forward about an inch with the AC components in place. It's do-able.

Priority IMO:

Tranny temp gauge
Deal electrics
Upgrade tranny cooling
Power steering cooler

EDIT: Here you go - http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=88795&highlight=electric+fan

I just did the 3.8L Taurus fan install. Mine was super tight.
Only one fan, not two. I ended up with about 1/2" clearance behind the fan on my pulley, and about 1/2" in front of the fans center dome behind the radiator. It's mounted sturdy and seems fine.
I acually had to tilt my radiator forward to be sure the fans center dome would clear without rubbing as the chassis and things flex.
The top radiator mount under the removeable front crossmember. there are two holes. The bottom mount sits on two studs on my '88.

What I did was redrilled the two upper holes only in the top crossmember.
I moved the top mounts forward about 3/4" so now the top of the radiator is tipped forward a bit, but it was just enough to make my Taurus fan install a bit easier and gave me more clearance so I didn't have to worry about the fan moving around and possibly making contact with the backside of the radiator. I've seen poor electric fan installs actually cause leaks in the radiator from minor rubbing, not noticeable sitting still, but if it's too close it's not good.

Back