• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Track Bar Removal

Jeepthing88

NAXJA Forum User
ok....how the hell do you get this thing off?.....ive looked in my factory service manual for my year XJ and the Chiltons.......and everywhere i look it just says "remove the bolt attaching it to the axle". Turning out that isnt very easy. theres some weird nut tab behind it that just moves when i move....and when i finally get it to stop moving and slightly turn the nut bolt (mabye) when i go back to ratchet it wont because the tab just move back with my movement. So how in the hell am i susposted to get this danm thing off???

Patient's Grasshopper!!! LOL
The tab in the back need's to hit the side and keep pressure so that it won't turn back. It will take some time but it will come off..

the tab is close to the other side though....for if i wanted to tighten it down it would work great....i cant seem to get to the other side...to do that i have to turn the wrench...which i have to ratchet....but i cant ratchet it everytime i take pressure off of it, it just slides right back to it's normal position

ok the tap spun up into the bracket...and i now have the bolt off the nut...getting the tap out of the bracket is a problem for later...but how am i susposted to get the bolt out? right now im just trying to pry at it from behind

Have someone wiggle the sterring wheel. Do you have a lift on it, this my cause some bidding just need to work it alittle. You can also jack up the jeep and this will help..

yea this isnt working at all...i dont even see how turning the steering wheel helps....i was turning it and i didnt see the track bar move at all...i dont see how that helps at all. trying to pry it out isnt happening either...this just seems to be a lost cause. i might as well just put it back together...this is just to big of a hassel to see if these coil spacers MIGHT fit

The idea with turning the wheel is to put pressure on the bolt so it doesn't move back. The low tech professional idea would be to hold the socket with one hand while you move the ratchet with the other. It takes a little practice, but it is a useful skill for working on Jeeps. They have a lot of hard to remove bolts.

have a friend/wife/gf/parent turn the steering wheel with the jeep running, and you under the jeep with the socket. It will come, but it is difficult. After some many times, you learn the trick to it, but you can't explain it unfortunatly. Trial and error and a bunch of luck. Oh yeah, plan 3 times the amount of time you think it will take.

ALL PLAY said:
Have someone wiggle the sterring wheel. Do you have a lift on it, this my cause some bidding just need to work it alittle. You can also jack up the jeep and this will help..

Jacking up the jeep puts much more pressure on that bolt than at ride height. You'll snap the head off trying to get it off.

Maybe try to disconnect the track bar completely? Take it off of the frame first and you might have better luck.

or use a big hammer and just beat on something....that always works.

I use a come along to relieve the pressure on the bolt. I attach one side to the axle and the other to the front skid plate or winch bumper depending on which way it's pinched. I then rachet it down until the bolt is loosened up. If you do end up breaking the bolt then a sawsall or a grinder will come in handy to cut the nut off in that PITA place. Don't ask how I know, but I don't have a nut with a tab anymore. Good luck and have patience giving your jeep some love.

Doesnt sound like binding is this guys problem with getting the bolt out. The problem sounds like the bolt is stuck inside the bushing sleeve. When you try to pull the bolt out, the smooth part of the bolt will slide out, but as soon as the threads try to slide past all that corrosion thats in there, they get stuck.

Every stock track bar that Ive taken off with any kind of miles on it had this problem. The solution I use usually ruins the threads on the bolts, but finding a replacement is easy...

I take a pair of locking pliers, and clamp them as tight as I can to the bolt as close to the axle pocket as possible. Then just use a hammer and tap forward on the pliers. it will pop out once you get it started.

I just did a lift this weekend for a buddy and it took alittle bit to get that bolt out, and the threads looked like crap when it did come out...but its not impossible. I hate putting old bolts back into a rig anyway, so I always have a stash of new bolts that I use to replace everything...along with lots of antiseize.

Good luck!

Justin

Pry bar or big screw driver. Air gun spinning it out..Little pressure from someone on the steering wheel.

it backs itself out.

Can't remember if it is a through hole in that spot but you could use a punch and punch it out...Or just sawzall the back side and grind the front side off. Remove track bar and then punch out the stud. Replace with new grade 8 bolt and antisieze.

If all you're doing is adding spacers, stop with the trackbar. Leave it alone. DIsconnect the shocks on one end (either/or doesn't matter), the swaybar links, coil spring retainers, and use a jack in between the framerail and top of the axle tube to push the axle down far enough to slip the spring out and add the spacer.

Like such:

jack_on_axle.jpg

Jeff

Hey guys I need to replace the lower axle mount bolt. I'm trying to get the rest of the bolt out of the nut. Any suggestions? What bolt size is this? I'm working on getting the frame side out as well. Any suggestions with this?

Thanks,

Ben

Try to stick a pry bar or screw driver up in that slot to hold the nut from spinning. Think about how it needs to come out and adjust your method.
Is the nut off of the bolt? Did you break the bolt head off?

You could take a sawzaw and cut the bolt on the inner side of the axle mount, but it will tear up the bushing a little.

I got the bolt and nut with the retainer. I've already got new replacement bolts and still trying to get the remains of the bolt that's stuck in the stock nut. I'm also working on the frame mount side. Any suggestions on how to get the frame side out? Space is cramped.

Back