• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 MJ Front Brake Caliper Removal - 2WD

comanche91

NAXJA Forum User
Probably a stupid question, but here goes. I have to remove my front brake calipers so I can pull the rotors and install 1/4" longer wheels studs. I am using a 1/4" spacer behind the wheel to clear the LCAs, and there are not enough threads left showing for the new wheels, only five turns until the lug nut seats. I Do I need to remove the brake pads from the caliper, or can I just unbolt the caliper and slide it off, then back on? Have not done this before. Thanks.

Just remove the the two large allen bolts from the caliper & slide it off. the pads will stay in place. It's a bigger bitch taking the hubs & rotors apart. Just lay everything out as it came off & you should be fine.

Thanks for the reply hellbilly. Reason I asked is because my FSM says to remove the pads from the caliper on the 2WD (mine), yet on the 4WDs they say just unbolt the caliper and remove w. the pads. On the 2WD the wheel bearings are p/o the rotor.

Back