• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cross shaft woes

Garden Spyder

NAXJA Forum User
I purchased a new lockright, installed it according to directions, and I was happy as could be..

Then someone mentioned that the kit should have come with a hardened cross shaft (pinion shaft)

I called the company that made the lockright, and they acted as though I was senile for asking about it and said they could not sell me one.

I have the 8.25 chrysler in my 93.

I was wondering if the shaft on the 8.25 was already a hardened pin? or does someone know where I need to go to get one?

the place I bought the lockright doesn't sell them either.

A friend of mine installed one on his YJ, and if I remember corectly, it didnt come with a new crossshaft, but that was over a year ago. Having no experience at looking at them, are you sure they are suposed to come with one? You might try calling some venders and see what they have to say. Sorry, that didnt really help you any.

I think the older ones did not come with a hardend cross shaft. I bought a lockright for a dana 44 2 years ago and mine came with a hardend cross shaft. The guy that bought it for me made a point to ask for it though.

I don't mean to be picky, but the link you showed me was for 8.5, but I have the 8.25 Chrysler. Are they the same?

I appreciate any help you guys have offered and any you may have left to offer. Please advise me of any other locations to find one.

Intrepidxj, have you suffered any consequences for using the stock shafts?

My bad.. you have a 27spline 8.25.. I wasn't paying attention.. they don't even make a lockright for the 29spline 8.25...

I think that whomever told you it comes w/ a new shaft was wrong... The Powertrax NO-Slip system does but now I think the LockRight does not. I believe you can buy any "stock" type shaft from NAPA or an axle shop and it should be hardened.... not sure though

I went to Jeep, and they would sell me a stock one but it had to come with new spider gears. I am guessing the stock one isn't hardened so that was a waste of time.

Car Quest doesn't carry the cross shaft, I can't seem to find it on any web sites, maybe I should just be happy with what I have.

My 8.25 No-slip didnt come with a shaft,the stock one has worked for me for 6yrs and yes I wheel it hard!

The extremely detailed directions that come with the aussie locker touch on this subject. They say that some cross shafts are not hardened steel and should be replaced with hardened steel. The way to tell is to try to scrape the cross shaft with a file or a chisel or something (just with the shaft in your hand, with moderate force). If you can make marks in the metal, it's not hardened. If you can't gouge the cross shaft, it's hardened, and you're fine. Atleast that's what I gathered from reading the aussie instructions.

The stock cross shaft in my 87 XJ D44 seemed hardened to me, cause I couldn't make any marks using my nice sharp metal file.

Also, if you need a new one I've got the spiders, drive gears, and cross shaft from my 96 XJs 29 spline 8.25 sitting in the garage.

Same directions for my lockright. The cross pin on mine was already hardened, AND the lockright came with a new cross shaft.

not sure why, because it was the wrong diameter by about .150 too small, and the package was unopened when I got it.

This was for a d35

Back