• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle shafts for dana 35?

jdurbach

NAXJA Forum User
Im a college student and I dont have money to do an axle swap on my 99 xj. I know there is a 30 spline kit for the 35 but thats 900 dollars without labor for the internals. It sounds crappy but is there anyone out there who makes stronger than stock axle shafts that are the same spline count as stock(27?). Also how do I tell if I have the trac loc diff?

I think Rusty's sells them.

Two burnout marks means a trac loc.

Just hold your brake all the way down and give it gas until you hear rubber peal. Then drive a few feet and get out and look to see if there is one burnout mark or two.

you can also look at the tag on the rear diff cover and if it has not been removed it will have inducations of the trac lok b/c of a tag saying to use limited slip fliud, or something of that nature. Also, you can take the last 8 or 9 digits of your VIN number and call the local service/parts department at the dealer and they can tell you if you have a trac lok or not, as well as your gear ratio if you dont already know it.

j99xj said:
I think Rusty's sells them.

Two burnout marks means a trac loc.

Just hold your brake all the way down and give it gas until you hear rubber peal. Then drive a few feet and get out and look to see if there is one burnout mark or two.
Im not sure I would advise that, especially with a D35. Just pull the cover and see whats inside. Just make sure you have the gear oil to fill it back up afterwards.

I dont know what your price range is, but you might be able to find a D44 from a XJ or MJ at a junk yard that will bolt right in. Might be less the $200, and will be a lot stronger then anything you do to a D35.

Randy's ring and pinion used to sell 27 spline stronger than stock shafts. if you plan on runnin a locker someday, then no way anyone is goin to recommend putting 900 bucks or more in a 35. spending that much cash i would go with a 8.25, d44, 8.8 etc., all have aftermarket parts available. as far as a factory ls, they are not worth the powder to blow them up i have heard.

Yeah its that superior axel kit that comes with a locker for 900 dollars. It steps the axles up to 30 spline but that so much money and im figuring that would be 500 more dollars for a drivleline shop to set the gear mesh properly

flexjay87 said:
spending that much cash i would go with a 8.25, d44, 8.8 etc., all have aftermarket parts available. as far as a factory ls, they are not worth the powder to blow them up i have heard.

X2, It would actually be cheaper to swap, I put an 29 spline 8.25 for ~$150.

I have a dana 35 for sell, set up with 4.88's yukon gear and axles and a lockright. Need 600.00 plus shipping

Most people will think I'm nuts by saying this but the dana 35 isn't all that weak. It's capable of handling a small burnout (with stock or very near stock tires) to check for the type of differential. If you don't want to do a burnout on pavement then do it on dirt, you will get the same result.

The biggest problem with the dana 35 is that people expect too much out of it. They whine and complain when the axle doesn't live up to thier highly unrealistic standards. (like 35 inch tall tires)

Yes the dana 35 is weak with big tires and a maniac driver, but I think the dana 35 is quite stout with stock (or very close) size tires and a driver that uses care when in 4 wheel low when the stresses are much higher.

He's got ABS so the 8.25 wouldnt work without losing the ABS.What size of tire do you want to run?What type of wheeling do you do?

Nothing too crazy. Max tire size of 31. I normally do a trail called slaughterhouse gulch. I would rate it a 5 at the most when its dry. Im not too heavy on the throttle because I am very good at picking lines to take. Most of the trails I do I would rate anywhere from a 4 to 6

RCP Phx said:
He's got ABS so the 8.25 wouldnt work without losing the ABS.What size of tire do you want to run?What type of wheeling do you do?

Actually this can be done, a guy in our local club did it. You have to have the shaft machined to fit the tone ring. He is on here too, I just don't know his username, so Chris if you see this, post up!

Back