• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

converting rwd to awd

saweddoffjeep

NAXJA Forum User
so i have a 89 xj, and i wanted to throw in the t-case and front axle and all that and make my jeep a awd, does anyone recommend any tips? and what is a complete list of parts i would need to do this

Do you mean the NP 247 or 249? They're the full-time AWD t-cases that Jeep has out currently. (I think...)

I'd go with an NP 242 selec-trac. It's got the AWD option (full-time setting) that you can simply set and go; and you can avoid the pesky Viscous Coupling that the other t-cases are notorious for. Plus, when it's absolutely nice out, the 242 can be slid into 2wd for fuel savings and wear & tear avoidance. It's a direct bolt-in for the XJ, there's tons of them out there, and it's plenty durable. All you need is the unit, the driveshafts, and part of the linkage and you're done.

:)

is there a way to tell the 247 and 249 apart? im just going to go to the wreckers and look around for everything, and would you know of any write up's or how to's by any chance?

I believe your posting was misread, you meant 2WD to 4X4/AWD correct? That is a pain in the arse. You need a transmission, due to the output shaft being too long on a 2wd, t-case, 231 are going to be more common, all the shifting bracketry for the t-case, drive shafts front and rear, and make sure the frontend you are getting is the same ratio as your rear, or get both axles. I have done what you are looking to do, and its a pain, I know being in the bay area, it is just cheaper to buy whole jeeps of CL than go to a junkyard for much more than a lugnut. I recommend finding a wrecked one. The swap is a pain in the arse, and rarely worth it, but if you must, I have tried not to flame and offer my input. Its tragic your not in Cali, I have all of the parts you would need to do this.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how to tell the 247 and 242 apart, but they came in the ZJ and WJ Grand Cherokee's. The 242 looks a lot like a 231, but with a little longer tailshaft.

One way to tell if the donor Jeep is AWD is to look at the indicator plate on the transfer-case lever; if it says '4-hi, N, 4-lo' it's AWD. (No way to lock it into a 'locked' front and rear split either, another strike against them IMHO) if the plate says '2-hi, 4-hi, N, 4-lo' on it, it's the NP 231 and if the plate says '2-hi, 4-part time, 4-full time, N, 4-lo) it's the NP 242.

I don't know of any write up on it, since most folks want to swap the 247/249 out for the 231 or 242. Sorry.

:(

Is Calmarkid2002 correct? Are you thinking of upgrading a 2wd to a 4wd? It's difficult, and labour intensive, but easier on an XJ than on any other SUV/truck out there. You'd be best advised to either sell your current vehicle and simply buy one like it with 4wd; your next best bet would be to purchase a 'donor' vehicle and swap the front axle, and transmission (along with the transfer case and driveshafts) into your Jeep. You'll need to cut holes in the floor, and set up the linkage to activate your t-case, but it's a doable project with time, effort, tools and cash.

:)

It's better if you have the space to keep a parts car around. Buy one cheep w/ what you want, do the swap and keep the rest for parts. That way you don't have to chased down parts and everything fits.

My 94 was a 2wd jeep and i converted a year or so ago.

The process isn't complicated or hard as most things just fit right in. The hard part is having all the parts on hand and hoping they all work. In my case i searched for a junk jeep until i found one for 550$ (93 with bad motor) and swapped in the front axle, tranny and tcase.

goodluck and ask if you plan on taking this project.
pete

Ha, I can read! There are no hole to be cut, they are all set up for it, there is already a hole for the shifter and the stupid linkage bracket, I am on my second conversion, don't ask me why, but all jeeps were created equal, well at least they were all meant to be converted to four wheel drives by enthusiasts such as ourselves. The 242 is way fucking heavier than a 231, thats one way to tell, and their is almost always an ID tag on the back of them.

Third that, either get a 4x4 up front or get a donor and park it about 10 feet away alongside on the same floor so you can roll back and forth.. I like the 242, been looking for one for my TJ...

Back