• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What size bottle???

FELIX

Who Knows, Ask Who
Getting ready to buy a Hobart 187 Handler, and looking to see what size Argon/Co2 bottle would be good to have around for small projects. I know I don't need a huge bottle, but something somewhat affordable & that wont be empty every time I go to use it. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Rob

I dont remeber what the cu/ft is but on both my mig and tig I bought the Aluminum bottles.They are 3ft tall and lightweight!I fab alot and only fill up about once a year.When full you can still pick them up with one hand!!

RCP Phx said:
I dont remeber what the cu/ft is but on both my mig and tig I bought the Aluminum bottles.They are 3ft tall and lightweight!I fab alot and only fill up about once a year.When full you can still pick them up with one hand!!
I found out that they are 80 cu/ft.

15-20lbs should work

Sounds great. Thanks guys. I ordered up the 187 :D . I wasn't quite sure on the gas consumption.

Thanks again guys.

Rob

One thing I noticed was the refill for the small and the medium bottles was about the same cost. I bought a small bottle before I noticed this. At least at Home Depot where I get mine filled.
Might want to check on what a refill costs, near you for the different sizes and/or if you rent your bottles, what the rental is for the different sizes.

28 cubic ft and 40 cubic ft (the 2 smaller sizes) both cost about $15-20 per refill at welding supply stores. If you only plan on using the welder ocassionly the 40 will be okay, if you want to use it a lot the 80 will be way more convienient. Any size below 40cubic ft is pretty much worthless.

Here is a 40 http://store.weldingdepot.com/cgi/weldingdepot/HP-40B.html you should call around to local welding supply places and get prices for their cylinders and refills (although most places swap the cylinders instead of just refilling yours and giving it back to you)

Back