• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Inchworm/Toyota case doubler

Vince

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Has anyone got an Inchworm Gear Toyota case doubler in their XJ?
http://www.inchwormgear.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=71

I got a reply from Inchworm about the likelyhood of adapting their Toyota case doubler to the AW4 and they said they can already do it like this:-

1. Replace the Jeep AW4 output shaft and tail housing with a Toyota version.
2. Install Inchworm adapter and Toyota reduction box.
3. Install Inchworm D300 adapter to fit NV231 or NV242.

I hadn't heard of this conversion before and thought I had come up with an original idea, I guess not. I'm trying to find information on how the shift mechanism is implemented. Would be great to see some pictures of an actual installation in an XJ.

Never heard of this before. It would make a great rock crawler out of an XJ with little modification. JUST TAKES MONEY!!!!

Yes, I agree, an Atlas probably would be a better choice for most, particularly if the driver is happy with just having 2wd on the street.

My Jeep is used in a wet climate both as a daily drive and trail rig. For me it would be a tough decision to give up the fulltime 4wd mode of the NV242. I hardly ever use 2wd. If my 242 ever breaks I will likely replace it with the AMG version. The Inchworm doubler would give me lower gear choices for the trail when I need them without sacrificing what I like about my 242.

Back