• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 4.0 into 91 XJ ?

ALLIANCE HTW said:
What things are different on these engines? Looking at doing a swap. Need to know what I need off my old engine. Thanks
Nothin...just use everything off either of them and you should be fine. If you wanna be safe just use all of your accessories but I'm pretty sure 91-95 4.0s are IDENTICAL. Good luck.
-Collin

Thank you. I thought so too, but had a guy tell me I would have to use my intake, exhaust and alternator. Just wanted to check with the people on this board. Pretty sure they didnt change until 97?

ALLIANCE HTW said:
Thank you. I thought so too, but had a guy tell me I would have to use my intake, exhaust and alternator. Just wanted to check with the people on this board. Pretty sure they didnt change until 97?
Ehh well actually intake didn't change much til 99 (except for ps pump changes in 96) but a lot changed in 96 with the introduction to OBD-II. Honestly I'm not sure on the alternator, you probably should use your own just to be safe or check an autoparts store website for the interchange. On the exhaust I would just use whichever manifold looks good and I believe the downpipes are the same so you should be good.
Hope it helps,
Collin

I think the 91 had a slightly different crank position sensor, or at least a different connector, that is unique to that year, so I'd make sure that the CPS matches whichever year computer and harness you're using. Otherwise, I think everything should be interchangeable.

Back