• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help, banging noises!

UndrTheInfleunce

NAXJA Forum User
Im having a very weird problem. I have a 90 XJ with a 3'' lift and 31s. for some reason, when i turn past a certain degree, i hear (and definitely feel) a loud banging. Im not quite sure where its coming from. it kind of sounds like it is coming from the rear but im not positive. i will provide more details later but any feedback is greatly appreciated, i just need a direction to be pointed in.
:flamemad: ->:smoker: ->:cool:

If its coming from the rear end, My guess would be that you broke off two teeth of your spider gears (Done it MORE than once ;) and when you are turning, they gears go "into action" and when they hit those two gears (opposite sides) hit the other teeth and skips the gears, causing it to make a loud noise and jump a little bit.

Id suggest jacking it up so the sires are off the ground, popping off the cover, and turning the wheels, looking at the teeth on the spider gears

Does it happen while parked or only when in motion?

While parked, its your front end. If its coming from the front, there can be tons of possibilities; Trackbar, upper or lower control arms, draglink or tierod ends, ball joints, etc.

If its coming from the rear while in motion and it was already built when you bought, it might have a lunchbox locker or worn leaf spring bushings, or messed up axle. To find out, jack up rear with both wheels off the ground and turn them while in neutral. If both tires rotate, then you might have a lunchbox locker and those normally are noisy.

You need to crawl under and take a look at everything until we can get more information

It happens in both 2wd and 4wd. Just as bad left as it is right. I got my brother to drive while i was looking under. it look like it might be coming from the transfer case, driveshaft itself, or the rear end. It looks like the driveshaft skips when the noise happens. I did just replace the tailcone off the t-case and ujoints on the driveshaft and im definitely no pro so maybe i mightve done something. but yeah i bought it built and im positive theres no locker in it. i do know that the previous owner broke the tailcone i replaced by doing neutral drops, so im thinking the t-case needs rebuilding. thanks for the help guys, im totally clueless since i already fixed what i thought was the problem.

"i do know that the previous owner broke the tailcone i replaced by doing neutral drops"

As in, putting it in Neutral, revving the engine, and throwing it in Drive??
MAN thats high school......And stupid.. but icant say i didnt do it to a couple cars when i was a young teenager....oh well.
If thats the case i think you know where to look. The entire drivetrain. From the flywheel on back but most likely the T-Case on back.U-joints, gears, all kinds of stuff that could have been loosened up.Or busted.
I agree on getting her on a lift or at least get the ack end in the air and look for sloppyness or clues to point to something while turnign the rear wheels.
I hope you got that thing for cheep...An owner like that could leave you with all kinds of little problems....good luck

Yes, i think everyone has had their fair share of neutral drops. yeah, its such a shame, its a really nice ride. I picked it up for 800 bucks. its not bad considering the mods already on it and the extra set of 31''s.

I'm pretty sure its gotta be a tooth somewhere, whether its in the differential or the t-case.

I almost guarentee its your spider gears with what Im hearing

I have a spider gear graveyard...its really not too big of a deal to replace, as long as you get the right gears for the carrier.

Pull Diff cover
Remove center pin (1/4" 12 pt wrench)
Push axle shafts in (just push on the studs)
Pop out C Clips
Pull shafts out a few inches
Remove Gears
Put in the 2 large gears on the sides
take the 2 smaller gears and mesh them into the teeth of the larger ones, and spin until they line up where the pin will go
Put in pin
Replace Cover
Fill with fluid

If u are close to VT, buy the gears and come over to my place and Ill do it for you

Before you start pulling stuff appart, take a look and see if your control arms are nice and shiny on the side towards the tire. Your front tire may be rubbing. The noise is hard to pinpoint sometimes.

drewguere said:
I almost guarentee its your spider gears with what Im hearing

I have a spider gear graveyard...its really not too big of a deal to replace, as long as you get the right gears for the carrier.

Pull Diff cover
Remove center pin (1/4" 12 pt wrench)
Push axle shafts in (just push on the studs)
Pop out C Clips
Pull shafts out a few inches
Remove Gears
Put in the 2 large gears on the sides
take the 2 smaller gears and mesh them into the teeth of the larger ones, and spin until they line up where the pin will go
Put in pin
Replace Cover
Fill with fluid

If u are close to VT, buy the gears and come over to my place and Ill do it for you

------------------------------------------------------

Another thing, before the rear driveshaft was put in the gears also felt like they were binding up. Would the spider gears have caused this?

:wierd: :smoker: :cheers: :puke:

Thanks alot drewguere, you were absolutely right! 2 of the spider gears are missing half their teeth and the other two are disformed as f***. Im pretty much on the other side of the united states but thanks for the offer.

One more question, do you have to remove the wheel and brake drums to push the axles in???

Thanks again for the help drew. you dont even know how much you helped me out. i really thought it was something in the transfer case and i was about to crack that open.

B-rad

:spam:

Back