• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spark plugs

klennop

NAXJA Forum User
So I have searched this and most people said to use Champion plugs. From what I have seen the replacement plugs for pre 98 are Champion. However Cherokee's newer than 98, the factory plugs ar NGK's. Is this correct? Since I have a 01, I am wondering if I should go with NGK's or Champions. Either way I don't think it would be a huge difference but what would be better?

Look on this page and scroll down a bit.
http://www.teamcherokee.com/Tune-Up_Parts/index.html

Thanks!

I just installed Champion Truck plugs and was an instant difference in how smooth it ran. Lots of members here say the DC vehicles like Champions and since I have no reason to doubt them, thats what I used...so far so good!
YRMV...

FWIW, I have an '00 and my first plug replacement from the dealer were the Champions, the next 2 were the NGK. They didn't even stock the Champions anymore (so they said). Anyway I noticed no difference between the 2.

Spark Plugs

I have a 90 and it hates Bosch and NGK and loves Champion or Accel.

Re: Spark Plugs

mikeforte said:
I have a 90 and it hates Bosch and NGK and loves Champion or Accel.
Please explain how you could tell it hated one and liked another? Did it run for crap using one plug and great using another? Or did they just wear out faster? Inquiring minds want to know:dunno:

Idiot Wind said:
FWIW, I have an '00 and my first plug replacement from the dealer were the Champions, the next 2 were the NGK. They didn't even stock the Champions anymore (so they said). Anyway I noticed no difference between the 2.

Well that is good to know that you couldn't tell a difference between the 2. It helps to know that yours is a 00 which is the same as my 01.

I wonder what happened that made them switch?

Stay away from autolite and bosch,Have seen multiple failures.ngk,champions,ac delco,denso and accel are all respectable and rather problem free.

I've got those 5$ Bosch plugs with 2 electrodes in my 89. It was running champions when I got it and there was a noticeable improvement after I switched.

waffqle said:
I've got those 5$ Bosch plugs with 2 electrodes in my 89. It was running champions when I got it and there was a noticeable improvement after I switched.

Do you think the noticeable change was just from running new plugs or that the Bosch's were that much better in your truck?

I picked up some Champion truck plugs last night but I didn't change them yet because it was between 0 and -10 with the windchill last night!

is there anyone out there who knows where to find ratings on spark plugs so that we can compare them? What I find is that a lot of us end up running something that we're comfortable with and then discussing our favorite. I'm always looking to fine tune and upgrade my engine when possible, just like the rest of us here. Do the 4.0's like hotter plugs? Bigger gap settings? What about when switching to a higher output "coil"?

IMHO Champion's are the best. Just put new ones in the other day, along with wires and a new batt. Ran great, shut it off and it hasn't started since...lol.

dizzymac said:
IMHO Champion's are the best. Just put new ones in the other day, along with wires and a new batt. Ran great, shut it off and it hasn't started since...lol.
My God, they must be great on gas mileage too!:laugh3:

Glad to see there is at least one other jeep owner who still has a sense of humor!

Its a Jeep Thing!

Back