• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch Pedal Stop?

toomanyxjs

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone. I am new on the board, but not new to xjs. However I picked up a 97 with a manual trans and the clutch master cylinder was out of it. I replaced it and bled the system, but I'm not sure what is supposed to keep the clutch pedal rod in the mc. If I lift the pedal it pulls right out of the mc. Is there supposed to be a stop on the pedal so it can't be pulled up? What the heck am I missing. Thanks

My pedal rests against the switch that causes the cruise to disengage when the pedal is pushed. ('85 -- don't know if later models are different.) Don't know what it would rest against with no cruise but obviously some sort of stop. I will look at the linkage again if no one else chimes in but not sure it would help much.

Bob

I've replaced the MC in my 90 several times, I dunno if your MC is different but the thing keeping the pedal from going all the way to the dash is the rod on the MC, therefore mine doesn't pull out.

Is yours leaking when this happens?

I had to install the mc because it was removed by the previous owner. The new one works fine, no leaks. I just can't figure out what keeps the pedal from moving towards the driver if you were to pull on it. There is a retainer in the mc that is supposed to hold the end of the rod, but it is not strong enough to keep the rod from pulling out if the pedal is lifted. Is there supposed to be a stop for the pedal so it can't be pulled up?

I'll try, but I will be out of town for a few days. It will be next week before I can get pics. Thanks
So are you saying there is no positive stop for the pedal itself, it is the rod in the mc that that stops the pedal. Can you remove the rod from the mc in your jeep. Mine is removable, and it comes out very easy. As soon as it does there is nothing to stop the pedal.
Thanks again!

The rod in all of the MC's I've toyed with do not come out. The clutch pedal on mine has a spring and once the rod on the MC is fully extended the clutch pedal moves no closer to the driver. I Might have a pic of the setup but I'll have to check, then again my Jeep is a 1990.

Thanks for your help guys! Last night I pulled the mc again and found that it wasn't assembeled correctly from the parts store. The retainer that holds the clutch rod was not installed under the circlip that holds the piston in the mc. After I put it together correctly, alll is well. The pedal now has a positve stop.
Thanks Again:cheers:

Back