• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

KUMHO VENTURE 834 VS.KUMHO KL71

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for some opinions on the newer kumho kl71's. I have run the 834s and have been very happy with them, great in the snow,mud,dirt and sand. In my opinion they were as good as my bfg m/t's, I'm upgrading to 33x12.5x15's and found the kl71's. They look pretty gnarly just wondering if they are more for show or if they are practical, Thanks

From the manufacturers specs the KL71 appears to have the same off-road capability but with better comfort (on the road) than the 834.

Road Venture MT KL71 http://www.kumhousa.com/Products/PtnDetails.asp?mainCatID=2&PtnID=KL71&refAction=PtnDetail

KL71lgmap.gif

Road Venture MT 834 http://www.kumhousa.com/Products/PtnDetails.asp?mainCatID=2&PtnID=834&refAction=PtnDetail

834lgmap.gif

They didn't look like much to me at first but a buddy of mine put 33's on his YJ and I can't believe how well those tires work. He doesn't do alot of road miles so I'm not sure how long they would last but offroad there great in a mixture of hardpack and mud, soft terrain.

Not many rocks over here but the few there are they handled very well.

Yeah, I can't get the kl71's til mid march, don't need them until the white stuffs gone anyways

I was very turned off by the tread depth. I picked up destination m/t's for $30 more a tire, but they have 22/32 of tread.
The last set of Kumho's I bought for the wife's car lasted a whole 20,000 miles. I wasn't impressed with the company.

RedHeep said:
I was very turned off by the tread depth. I picked up destination m/t's for $30 more a tire, but they have 22/32 of tread.
The last set of Kumho's I bought for the wife's car lasted a whole 20,000 miles. I wasn't impressed with the company.
20,000 miles? I have 35" early Kumhos on my d/d /work truck/weekend warrior Toyota p/u (with a rear locker) with over 30,000 miles on them and I still have 85-90% tread left! I rotate mine, religiously every 5,000 miles and have a fifth as a spare that gets rotated in also......they've held better than any tire I've owned (you name it and I've probably had them) and they've been suprisingly capable offroad as well--------Hans

Oatmeal said:
20,000 miles? I have 35" early Kumhos on my d/d /work truck/weekend warrior Toyota p/u (with a rear locker) with over 30,000 miles on them and I still have 85-90% tread left! I rotate mine, religiously every 5,000 miles and have a fifth as a spare that gets rotated in also......they've held better than any tire I've owned (you name it and I've probably had them) and they've been suprisingly capable offroad as well--------Hans

High performance all seasons wear a little differently than LT's do. I learned my lesson and went with a bridgestone potenza. I should have known better than to pick a tire that had no treadlife warranty. Kumho doesn't have to answer to it's customers whether the tire lasts 60000 miles or 6 miles.

Your results may vary.

RedHeep said:
High performance all seasons wear a little differently than LT's do. I learned my lesson and went with a bridgestone potenza. I should have known better than to pick a tire that had no treadlife warranty. Kumho doesn't have to answer to it's customers whether the tire lasts 60000 miles or 6 miles.

Your results may vary.
Well, yeah.....that's different---------Hans

Oatmeal said:
Well, yeah.....that's different---------Hans
Yeah, even the Kumho ATs that came on my '99 (that sucked a&% off road--the tires, that is) lasted for 35,000 after I bought it. They still weren't illegal, but I wanted/needed to replace them.

RedHeep said:
I should have known better than to pick a tire that had no treadlife warranty. Kumho doesn't have to answer to it's customers whether the tire lasts 60000 miles or 6 miles.
Why do you say that?
The KL71's have a warranty
http://www.kumhousa.com/Care/WarrantyInf.asp
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Warranty.jsp?make=Kumho&model=Road+Venture+MT+KL71&partnum=105QR5KL71&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&place=3

The warranty is similar to the potenza's warranty (neither have a treadlife warranty)
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Warranty.jsp?make=Bridgestone&model=Potenza+RE750&partnum=045WR6RE750&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&place=0

he wasn't talking about the kl71 warranty, he was talking about the high performance tires he put on his wife's car not having a treadlife warranty.

87manche said:
he wasn't talking about the kl71 warranty, he was talking about the high performance tires he put on his wife's car not having a treadlife warranty.
Some of the Kumho tires don't have treadlife warranties, but most do. When looking for new tires that is just one of many things you should research and take into consideration (along with price, size, traction rating, treadwear ratings, seasons the tire will be used in...), but I'm sure most of you already knew that.

Here are some of the Kumho car tire warranties:
Solus KH16 has a 60,000 treadlife warranty
732 Touring PLUS has a 50,000 treadlife warranty
ECSTA ASX (KU21) has 30,000 treadlife warranty

Other Kumhos

87manche said:
I had the KH11's on my 300zx for over 20k miles, they are not in any way all-season tires. They were summer only, you would wear them down in winter with all the slipping you would do. And with a tread wear rating of 320 (or 280 depending on the size) and traction rating of AA I wouldn't expect much more than 20-25K out of them.

All I was getting at was that I wasn't impressed. Tires are like anything else, you get what you pay for. I've been in the same position as everyone else, the pocketbook a little short and I went with Kumho's.
They got loud, the ride was rough and they didn't last. Just my experience. If you have the money, buy a quality tire.

I ran ecsta supras 225/45/17's on my Grand Prix, These tires sold me on kuhmo, excellant traction and cornering ability. I got about 45,000 miles out of them. I have 18,000 miles on my 834's and they are showing very little wear, only getting rid of them because my jeep has outgrown them.

I just put a set of 32" kl71's on my 91 xj and love them. They're not really noisy on the street and they seems to perform great off road so far. I only have about 3 off road trips on them plus about 300 road miles.

Back