• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disconnect problems

justme

NAXJA Forum User
This may be a stupid question, but have patience with us mechanically impared folks. I haven't found this situation on the site anywhere.
I had disconnects installed on my '88 XJ. I'm not sure they are the correct part or installed correctly. (Done by 4X4 shop).
First of all, are they both supposed to point the same direction? The bars the disconnects fit onto both face to the right of the jeep.
The first problem I had with them was that each time I hit a bump when they WERE NOT disconnected, the top would push it's way through my air cleaner box. After replacing the box, I lifted the jeep further with 2" coil spacers and so far that's been better. (although now the jeep drives like a boat on the highway).
My second problem came when I put new wheels and tires on. Now I can't make a sharp left turn without the right disconnect bar (the one that faces outward toward the right side of the jeep) badly scraping on the inside of my wheel.
Are the disconnects wrong, or can only greatly backspaced wheels be run on an XJ with disconnects? Thanks for any advice! :banghead:

No they are wrong. The bar pins on the axle should both point in, away from the tires. Also sounds like they might be too long. The sway bar end links should sit horizontal or even a little down when the truck is on a flat surface. If the axle is centered the sway bar will also be centered (equal distance from mount to mount).

It does sound like they are way to long. The pass. side is backwards.
Should look like this:
100_2901.jpg

100_2900.jpg

HTH

Hale

Okay, I may as well get all the jeep modification advice I can from the experts all at once. Ever since I put spacers in the front and blocks in the back, my jeep has been great offroad but drives like an unstable boat on the highway. If I replace the blocks with all new leaf springs, will that fix the problem? It's looking like springs that can replace the lift height of the blocks will be about $330 in parts and $200 plus in labor. I'd like to feel somewhat confident that will take care of my problem before the throw the money at it. What do you think?
P.S. I'm going to get new disconnects (and have them installed correctly). Is there any certain brand I should choose that are easy to connect/disconnect, but are also affordable ($100 or so)?

you don't need new disconnects, just take the bolt of the one side and flip it. very easy to do. Also I dought that putting leaf packs and getting rid of the blocks will help your swaying. Putting the disconects on properly should do that. I agree blocks aren't the best and should be replaced, but probably hold off for now or least replace them yourself. It doesn't require any special tools and could easily be done in a parking lot.

Okay. The mechanic I talked to today said replacing leaf springs was quite the ordeal. He didn't look at the jeep but figured with it being an '88 there would probably be rusty bolts that needed cutting out, and other complications.

start spraying down the bolts with pb blaster every day for a couple weeks before you do it, that will help. Also, if you think your ubolts are rusted bad, just go down to the local parts store and get some new ones. No since fighting those things off and on if they are nasty. putting on new springs can be a bitch. It gets better with a buddy to help you. really takes no special tools, just a very long 1/2 break over bar, bfh, and a 18mm deep socket, 21mm deep socket and a 21 mm wrench or big crecent. If you have already changed out ubolts(or someone else did) for the blocks, then you will need a 3/4 wrench or deep socket for the u bolts. Stock is 18, aftermarket is 3/4 from what i have found.

a decent floor jack, jack stands, and a good bar would also be good things to have around.

One other option might be take the blocks out, and get some longer shackles, cost alot less than the new springs, and would not be quite the chore to put in as new springs.

I do have new U-bolts, and I'm going to check into the shackles. Will they ride the same as new leaf springs? It seems to make sense that they would.
Thanks so much for all your help. I really appreciate it!

If your worried about the spring bolts you could just do an aal or bastard pack and not even have to take the bolts out. just on bolt the axle, then clamp the springs and remove the center pin, add the new leafs and put new center pin back in and you have more lift. This stuff isnt' hard, but can be time assuming if never done it before, but if you change out spark plugs, or rotate tires, you can this. Get a friend or see if a local jeep club has a wrenchathon you can go to. It is much better to learn how to do the work yourself so when it breaks you can fix it. And its not IF you break, its WHEN.

Back