• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DD Steering

LilRhodyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My Jeep has gotten to the point were I think it needs a new set up. The steering just doesn't feel right anymore but nothing is bent and I've replaced the Tie-rod ends. I have an RE HD Trac Bar and mount so I'm looking to upgrade the other components. The steering and how its fine tuned and what not is beyond me as of right now and I'm kinda lost. I'd like to upgrade the steering to something heavy duty but also keep it good for daily driving. My buddy has the RK steering set up OTK and he says it works fine but its not the greatest for driving on road.
I've seen Curries, ORO U turn, RKs (btw does RK have to be OTK?), rustys, and I just don't know whats best.
If you can lend me a helping hand that'd be great
TIA

-Andrew
p.s. My steering is popping at a certain spot in the wheel it wobbles and sounds liek crap when I hit bumps but everything is tight I've gone over it over and over...I'm lost

Currie all the way. I know a lot of offroad racers that use the currie set up and it holds up for them just fine.

It holds up great - worth the money due to the ease of install. I've hit it several times, and bent the drag link twice. But I was in a very large rock garden. :D

Since you mentioned it popping, and "just not feeling right" - it sounds like you may have a problem at the box. For a while on my old 91, I was having a steering issue every trip - either the wheel getting off-kilter, or popping, or looseness. Turns out I had a broken bolt in the steering box mount, which allowed for all kinds of play and popping. After replacing that bolt, I literally lost another bolt the next trip, same symptoms.

I would say take a close look at your box - reinforce it and I am willing to bet your popping and looseness will diminish.:wave1:

Thanks that was were I was going next. I haven't wheeled in a while because of the steering issues and I've replaced a blown out tie rod end and put in a new trac bar and made sure everything was greased and tight. It still knocks and pops. If my Jeep is off and I turn the wheel (the little one inch it allows you to turn in each direction) I can feel something knocking but nothing moves or looks out of place.

Andrew

How much lift are you running? The stock geometry, even with heavier duty steering like currie or ZJ, still maxes out the TRE's on the draglink when you droop the passenger side and will wear it out quickly.

If your running 4.5+ lift and like your flex, look at something that uses better ends, like the PartsMike or JCR steering. It's stronger than the ZJ or Currie setup, about the same cost, and has more range of motion - not to mention your toe in won't change with the travel of your suspension like it does now.

http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=S6

lemme just mention that I run the JCR 1 ton setup and it helped stiffen up my steering woes but its back again due to either my trackbar or the box. the 1ton IS bendable, just like any other system out there.

Pros:
- stronger and beefier
- can flip the tierod if you have tools n time.
- removes inverted Y config
- good warranty on TREs
- cheaper than Currie
- JCR provides GREAT service n Support

Cons:
- Not bolt-on since it requires drilling and reaming
- If you break it, cannot safely use stock setup since the holes are reamed. If you do...be VERY careful because it gets really sloppy.

Currie steering here. I've had it on for two years of abuse. Thier components are great. It's about time I replace my TRE's on it. The chrome alloy TRE's from currie are a little pricey ($50 a pop) but well worth it for the amount of abuse I put my jeep through.

Im running ORO's U-turn kit and just got the 3rd gen. upgrade in the mail today... I love this steering i mean i dont see how it could get any easier to install. NO bump-steer, no steering stabilizer, etc.

Worth the $$ I think..

Back