• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

homemade bpe?

sjbond67

NAXJA Forum User
Well Bar Pin Elimenaters commonly used with shocks in our sport has nothing to do with a sway bar. Sway bar brackets normaly don't come into play 'till you pushing the 5" mark. So what are you trying to do?

I tried the sway bar bracket thing, and because of it rotating the eye, it made a lot of noise and was very annoying.

The shocks that have variable-rate valving (Monroe Sensatracs, some Ranchos, Edelbrocks) have small grooves in the cylinder walls that are a part of the adjustable-valving feature. Turning the tops 90* in these cases destroys the shocks in a couple hours of off-road driving or a couple of weeks or so of street driving. Putting one part of the shock at a right angle to its intended mounting position and not changing the other is asking for trouble with modern shocks.

Ah, I have redone my mounts on the bottom that turns them and protects the mounting bolt better. Although I have regular hydros on mine.

bolting in a BPE bracket made from a rear sway bar bracket on the FRONT lower shock mount is a BAD idea
1. bc the direction of the mounting bolt/eye of the shock fights the direction of the axle travel during flex and wears out the shock eye bushing and limits flex..

Plus, the main purpose of a BPE is to preload the shock bushing so that there is no play. Using swaybar brackets or Rusty's will not accomplish this.

Sure, of course, people use the swaybar brackets to "eliminate the barpin". But it is not a true BPE. If you look at a JKS, you can see how a real BPE is supposed to work.

Timber said:
The shocks that have variable-rate valving (Monroe Sensatracs, some Ranchos, Edelbrocks) have small grooves in the cylinder walls that are a part of the adjustable-valving feature. Turning the tops 90* in these cases destroys the shocks in a couple hours of off-road driving or a couple of weeks or so of street driving. Putting one part of the shock at a right angle to its intended mounting position and not changing the other is asking for trouble with modern shocks.

I'd like to see some more evidence of this. I've seen cutaways of the edelbrocks, and the piston is smooth all the way around. This is something I'd never heard. Not arguing with you, would just like more info. on it for myself.

can you do it with stock shocks?? it would be mounting it the same way as the shock is in there now, just lowering it and eleminating bar pin, right?

1996cc said:
I'd like to see some more evidence of this. I've seen cutaways of the edelbrocks, and the piston is smooth all the way around. This is something I'd never heard. Not arguing with you, would just like more info. on it for myself.
When I mentioned Edelbrocks, I wasn't thinking of all of their shocks--just the IAS shocks. Still, I was, in a word, wrong. They use a valve above (or below, depending on mounting style) that opens and closes to increase or decrease flow.

sjbond67 said:
can you do it with stock shocks?? it would be mounting it the same way as the shock is in there now, just lowering it and eleminating bar pin, right?
Well, it still rotates the mount 90*. When I tried it I was running regular monroes for a F-150? (it's been a WHILE),

Back