• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Right tools for the job?

smokeeaterXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey NAXJA people,
Im sick of buyin stuff from companies that pay half the price to make their stuff. So I wanna fabricate my own rear bumper/tire carrier and I have all the info from previous threads. Thats right I SEARCHED. :compwork:

But the problem is that I dont know if I have the right welder for the job. Can a Lincoln 100 weld metals up to 1/4 inch thick? And are there any other welding tips from all u fabricators out there?

Most companies don't think up,design and make products to break even, Try welding a few scrap pieces together, start with some spot welds dial your heat in and move on to some beads, When you buy your material get extra. I always buy more just in case and If I don't use it all I just put it in safe keeping for a future project.The welder is small but slow and steady it'll do.

cool! thanks for the advice! My friend probably just sucks at welding cause he gave it a shot and I think a baby could have broken his weld! So I was doubting the ability of a lincoln 100 on 1/4 inch steel.:cheers:

Bevel the material that you are welding. Push the puddle instead of dragging it. You can also preheat with a torch for better penatration.Always clean your welding surface as small welders do not burn away debris and contaminate the welds

cdhowell said:
Bevel the material that you are welding. Push the puddle instead of dragging it. You can also preheat with a torch for better penatration.Always clean your welding surface as small welders do not burn away debris and contaminate the welds

That's all good advice. I haven't stick welded in years, my mig is so much more user-friendly. With any form of welding, get good advice, and then practice, practice, practice. One good drill is to bevel and weld a couple pieces of 3/16 or 1/4 stock or angle together, let it cool, and then clamp it in the vice and try to pound it apart at the weld with a hammer. When this becomes very difficult and bends the base material quite a bit before the weld starts to seperate, you'll know you're getting good penetration.

smokeeaterXJ said:
Hey NAXJA people,
Im sick of buyin stuff from companies that pay half the price to make their stuff. So I wanna fabricate my own rear bumper/tire carrier and I have all the info from previous threads. Thats right I SEARCHED. :compwork:

But the problem is that I dont know if I have the right welder for the job. Can a Lincoln 100 weld metals up to 1/4 inch thick? And are there any other welding tips from all u fabricators out there?

either go 220 mig
or a 220 buzz box.

A 140 amp will work fine with 1/4" I doubt a 100 will do it.....or it will take a very long time.

Back