• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wierd. rough idle after wheeling ?

generalleexj

NAXJA Forum User
ok well once in a while. usually later the day of wheeling ill go to start up my jeep and it will sound like it has a weak idle. it will just sound and feel bad but when i start to drive for about 30 seconds its back to normal ?? any ideas could mud be clogging up 02 sensors ???

2001 XJ limited 7" lift 35's D30/C8.25 stock gearing. no enging mods 4.0 S6

and this is the only time it ever struggles like this. is once in a while after wheeling

I used to get that as well on my 98. Turning the engine off would allow for heat soak which would in turn make the next minute or so of running rough. That would suck when you are next to do a long hill climb with a sputtering. Because of this I tended to leave my Jeep idling when waiting to climb a hill.

There was a TSB for either 00 or 01 models in which a heat shield is installed on the 3rd fuel injector. I don't know how well that fix works because I have a 98. I ended up adding vents in my hood and have an electric fan that runs when my ignition is off as necessary.

part number is #560283021aa at the dealership. Order six of them, cut each one in half and wrap your injector. The part number corresponds with the wrong picture at the dealership but believe me, its injector wrap.

-Andrew

Strange. This is what mine does when started cold. Runs like its missing for about 30 seconds then the idle becomes steady. What might be causing this?

LilRhodyXJ said:
part number is #560283021aa at the dealership. Order six of them, cut each one in half and wrap your injector. The part number corresponds with the wrong picture at the dealership but believe me, its injector wrap.

-Andrew

Hey guys - just called the dealership (I am having the same issue) and the part # is 56028371aa and it's called an Ignition Shield. Cost about $6 each.

Going to go buy this for each injector. I am told this will fix the problem.

Late,
Mark

ttocsnekia said:
Before you spend some serious money on parts, I would run some sea foam or injector cleaner through your system. As for the first post, I would check for moisture in the distributor, then sea foam
Scott

There is no Distributor on the 2000 and 2001's.

TSB 1803903
NHTSA Item Number: 10005644
Desc: ROUGH IDLE DUE TO HIGH AMBIENT OR HOT SOAK TEMPERATURES. THIS CONDITION MAY BE MOST NOTICEABLE WHEN THE ENGINE IS RESTARTED FOLLOWING A 10 TO 20 MINUTE HEAT SOAK IN HOT AMBIENT CONDITIONS OF APPROXIMATELY 32 DEGREES C OR HIGHER. *TT

FIX: Heat sleeve for the #3 injector, the next is a flash update for the PCM software that will run the coolant fan at a lower temp to keep the engine running cooler, and the last is a thorough decarb service using mopar combustion chamber cleaner. I would also suggest changing out your spark plugs, use champion or NGK plugs, even if they are fairly new.

Hope this helps....

LilRhodyXJ said:

-Andrew

I have the same problem. I have 6 of the injector wraps on the way. I sure hope it corrects the problem. I also did run seafoam through the system. It made it worse and more frequent for me.

SharkXJ said:
There is no Distributor on the 2000 and 2001's.

TSB 1803903
NHTSA Item Number: 10005644
Desc: ROUGH IDLE DUE TO HIGH AMBIENT OR HOT SOAK TEMPERATURES. THIS CONDITION MAY BE MOST NOTICEABLE WHEN THE ENGINE IS RESTARTED FOLLOWING A 10 TO 20 MINUTE HEAT SOAK IN HOT AMBIENT CONDITIONS OF APPROXIMATELY 32 DEGREES C OR HIGHER. *TT

FIX: Heat sleeve for the #3 injector, the next is a flash update for the PCM software that will run the coolant fan at a lower temp to keep the engine running cooler, and the last is a thorough decarb service using mopar combustion chamber cleaner. I would also suggest changing out your spark plugs, use champion or NGK plugs, even if they are fairly new.

Hope this helps....

Another recomendation: The other thing is to make sure you rev your engine over 3200 RPM on a regular basis. These newer models have a problem with the exhaust valves getting carboned up and you need to get the RPMs up over 3200 to help rotate the valves and keep them cleaned up. That is where the decarb service comes into play.

Back