• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alignments????

Jeeps in Head

NAXJA Forum User
I just put my first lift on my 01' XJ and it looks sweet. It's a 3" OME/DPG w/ a JKS trackbar, JKS discos. Just wondering, I have the trackbar almost dialed in but it is a little off, should I wait to have the alignment done after I have it perfect or will it matter at all.

Thanks

Get the trackbar right first and then do the alignment. Otherwise you steering wheel will be out. Mind you, you should just do the whole alignment while you are at it like I show on my site. www.go.jeep-xj.info. ;)

Just got the alignment and they said the rear is off a bit and they cant really do anything about it. I have 4 degree axle shims w/ a 3" OME lift. They said the rear passenger side is about 1/4 inch closer to the front than the other side or vise versa. They also said this was because of the axle shims. I have never heard of this could someone please shed some light on this situation.

:peace:

Jeeps in Head said:
Just got the alignment and they said the rear is off a bit and they cant really do anything about it. I have 4 degree axle shims w/ a 3" OME lift. They said the rear passenger side is about 1/4 inch closer to the front than the other side or vise versa. They also said this was because of the axle shims. I have never heard of this could someone please shed some light on this situation.

:peace:
Loosen your u-bolts and move the pass side forward,you may also need to pull the drivers side back!

I just measured the SOB myself and it is about 5/8 of an inch off. You can really tell when you stand above the fender and look down. I don't see how you can move the axle that much when the pin is mounted in the spring perch of the axle. Sorry guys I'm kind of a newbie, all of your help is very appriciated.

You do have the shim as part of the leaf pack with centering bolt going through it and bolted tight don't you? You also have to enlarge the hole in the spring pad on the axle to get the centering bolt in right. Just checking that you got it right.
If so then get a tape measure and measure from center of the bolt to the spring mounting bolt. compare this to the leaf on the other side. You may have a set of springs that don't match.

Caster shims do not effect wheelbase left to right as you have to add the same thickness to both sides. If they were dumb and thought they could twist the whole axle housing to correct left to right caster, they are complete idiots!! You are really better off doing it yourself as this does in fact happen at some shops!

Alright, I'm sorry, after going through the whole thing myself I found that the only thing wrong is that the driver side leaf spring sags about 1/2"-3/4" more than the passenger side does. I know leaf springs sag after a while but this was pretty much noticeable about a week later. I haven't had a chance to flex my suspension yet, just driving on the road for the most part. Is this abig deal or will everything kind of equal out after a while and some offroad flexing?

Thanks

Jeeps in Head said:
Alright, I'm sorry, after going through the whole thing myself I found that the only thing wrong is that the driver side leaf spring sags about 1/2"-3/4" more than the passenger side does. I know leaf springs sag after a while but this was pretty much noticeable about a week later. I haven't had a chance to flex my suspension yet, just driving on the road for the most part. Is this abig deal or will everything kind of equal out after a while and some offroad flexing?

Thanks
did you tighten everything down on the ground? if you tightened the leafs in the air without the weight of the jeep on the leafs it could cause the sag. loosen the bolts that hold the leafs to the body and re torque them at ride height. if that doesn't help, just flex the crap out of it and throw some weight (200 lbs or so) in the back and drive it around like that. the leafs will settle with time.

Back