• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another thumping noise ?

90exjay

NAXJA Forum User
SO i have been searching but can't seem to find my exact problem.I have a 90'xj 2 door with 4.0 I6, ax-15, np231, re 5.5la,s.y.e. tw d/s. my problem is when ever i go over mildy rough terrain i get a thumping noise at the back of the trans hump,checked motor mounts, trans mount, exhaust mounts, also doesn't seem to matter if i'm in 2 hi or 4 hi, and i found a t.s.b. for transfer case shifter noise # 21-09-98, but it says its only for 95'-99' xj's. Was wondering if this problem would apply to mine as well or if my problem is something completely different.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sean

Well, I had a thunking noise also. In fact I still have it. However, I think it has been found in the rear leaf shackle. It is the only part of the jeep that has clean metal to metal contact. It sure feels like it is coming from the trannie area, but It is not.

So, look all around, noises are VERY hard to isolate.

What I menat was the rear of the leaf shackle was hitting the Unibody at full compression. As the rear suspension gets compressed, the rear shackle moves backward towards the back of the body. I saw the fresh metal on the end of the leaf itself, but I am still running stock rear shackles with a full leaf pack.

Other thoughts would be the Bar pins on the rear shocks, those are notorious for making noise.

Hope this helps.

Brian

Does it sound like its coming from right under the center console, maybe a little bit forward under the shift stick? cuz i have that problem to. and i have been having it for a few months. .....still cant figure out what it is though. Thought it was the transfer case knocking around, but i can seem to find anything wrong with it. I relpaced all the u-joints and that didnt do anything either.....so....im not sure if that helps you, but id check teh t-case mounts.

hope you get it figured out.....and when you do you should post it for the rest of us who have the problem
:looney:

Back