• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I do it? Bigger tires

afd516

NAXJA Forum User
I am running 36" tsl sx right now. I made a run to clayton and attempted a run up Black Sheep. For those of you that aren't familiar with it, it was a lot of work on 36's and I made about 2/3 rds way before I exited the trail. It took me about 4 hrs to go 3-400 yards. With larger tires it would have been alot easier.

So, I decide I want bigger tires. One of my buddies has a rig that has these 39.5" IROKS mounted on rims with the same bolt pattern so I borrowed them.
They clear everything with the exception of the floorboard which I can cut out. I will have to bumpstop it which needs to be done anyway. I can get them to clear with little to no effort on 4.5 inchs of lift.

I know you are asking "What axles do you have?"

I have a ford 9' 35 spline spooled in the rear and a 44 with a lockright, yukon shafts and Longfield 300m joints, 5.13 gears and an Atlas or a Stak tc is in the near future.

The only thing that is keeping me from going bigger is the front axle. Right now I have no issues with it. I have witnessed many other rigs with tires strapped to the end of an axle that they have no bussiness on, though. It sure is tempting..........

What do you guys think. Should I push the 44 and see how strong it really is? :explosion :dunno:

DSCF2012.jpg

DSCF2011.jpg

DSCF2010.jpg

DSCF2009.jpg

nice rig

i dig the work . . . BUT whats up with the red why not just paint over it?

Not that im hating it looks better then my rig just wondering why not

SAM

Did you have any problems with the 36's like breaking shafts and ujoints?
How much gas do you use? Hard on the right all the time, or do you ease up things?

Driving style will have a large impact on it.

What gearing do you have now? 4.88s? That's probably to tall for 39.5s. I'd save for a front 60, and go lower than 5.13 if you wanted to run those tires (5.38/5.43 would be my suggestion).

Nice Jeep, by the way. That's been one of my favorite XJs for a long time.

I think your mismatched tail lights is the problem with getting up Black Sheep. If you had symmetrically balanced rear photon output you'd definitely have made it.

jerics4life said:
nice rig

i dig the work . . . BUT whats up with the red why not just paint over it?

Not that im hating it looks better then my rig just wondering why not

SAM

I painted it with the windows in and then pulled them out. I am to lazy to paint the window frames, so I haven't. I may get a wild hair one day and do it.

Starboard M said:
Did you have any problems with the 36's like breaking shafts and ujoints?
How much gas do you use? Hard on the right all the time, or do you ease up things?

Driving style will have a large impact on it.
I broke things before I went to alloys and the longfield u-joints. I have not broke anything since with the 36's. I am not a throttle monkey at all, all though I am not afraid to use the skinny pedal. I will have to be more carefull on when to use it. I really like to just crawl things. If it won't go I will try another line. I do not care about gas mileage. It is at an idle most of the time on the trail anyway. It is hardley ever driven on road.

Lawn Cher' said:
I think your mismatched tail lights is the problem with getting up Black Sheep. If you had symmetrically balanced rear photon output you'd definitely have made it.

I thought of the tail lights as being part of the problem until I looked under the rig and my axles were hung up on these huge things called rocks. So, with further consideration I ruled out the tail lights and figured that the tire size would probably help more. If I go with these 39.5's and I do not see a difference then I will revert back to the tail lights as being a possible issue with Black Sheep. ;)

I actually planned on running 39.5" Iroks when I get my axles in. Was wondering, how much do you think each of them weigh? Jeep looks great and I vote for run them and see what happens!

x2 Go for it

and let us know how it works with your set-up

Three of my wheelin buddies are running 42s on toyota axles (d44 size) with alloy shafts and 300M joints, They drive slow in low gearing, dont have much horse power and dont get alot of fast wheel speed up. Afew brakes but wheelable.

Those of us with 1tons and 42s give it hell. much more fun IMO. But both types of driveing and just being able to hang with the big dogs is fun.

stock d44s with 38s suck for anything more then mild wheelin. upgraded d44s are ok for 38s and 40s (if you easy on it).

have fun.

40s look cool.

woody431 said:
I actually planned on running 39.5" Iroks when I get my axles in. Was wondering, how much do you think each of them weigh? Jeep looks great and I vote for run them and see what happens!

I figure that each wheel and tire will be right at over 100 lbs. Believe it or not it is about the same for the 36" tsl sx. I will weigh them tomorrow and find out for sure what the difference is. I believe that the size of the tire is going to be the big difference in breakage.

I put them on a scale and my 36" tsl sx on a 15x10 is 109.5 lbs and the 39.5" IROK on the same 15x10 is 107 lbs. Who would of guessed?

I think I am going to go for it.

Back