• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wiggling my shaft

bigwillxj

NAXJA Forum User
haha... But seriously I have recent developed a vibration in my jeep. It isnt terrible but is annoying. Arround 55-60 my shifter begins to shake as well as my passenger seat when no one is in it. I recently replace a ujoint in the rear and it seems to be more forward in the jeep than from the rear. I got under it the other day and looked at the driveshafts and i wiggled both of them and my rear has no play but the front seems to have some at the slipjoint. Could this be the cause of my problems or should i look elsewhere?

FYI its a 97 with 4.5" SYE AND TW shaft and over 100k on the front ds

Unbolt the front driveshaft and see if the problem goes away. The slip joint needs to have a certain amount of engagement. Many times when people lift a rig, the joint ends up being extended too much allowing it to be loose, hence the vibes.

How often do you grease that front shaft ? I know that all of 3 of ours take at least 5-10 pumps from the gun every oil change or two, no idea where it goes, not flinging it anywhere that I can see. If you have never noticed YES there is a zerk on the front driveshaft.

RichP said:
How often do you grease that front shaft ? I know that all of 3 of ours take at least 5-10 pumps from the gun every oil change or two, no idea where it goes, not flinging it anywhere that I can see. If you have never noticed YES there is a zerk on the front driveshaft.

Actually, there's 5 (at least on mine)

1) u joint
2) slip joint
3) cardan joint forward u joint (recessed so requires a special pointed adapter)
4) center ball on cardan (same as #3)
5) cardan joint rear u joint (same as #3)

The easiest way to lube #3-#5 is to drop the fron d/s, or bend your adapter to fit.

i have the same vibes on mine too, i grease the zerk regularly. whenever i go on long trips i just take the dang thing off so i dont go nuts. it only takes 10 min to take off and put on, but any info on fixing this would be nice.

bigwillxj said:
now if my slip joint is bad how do I go abut fixing it?

1) go to a junkyard and pay ~10 for an xj/wj/zj front shaft

2) go to a driveline shop and pay ~70 for a rebuild

3) go to a driveline shop and pay ~200 to have a new shaft made

-C

I have the same problem too. Realized it after I bought the Heep. So I removed the front d/s a couple of months ago and fixed the vibration problem. But no 4x4. So I'm a little worried, cause I was going to take the jeep in, mechanic said that the pinion bearings needed replaced. Cal, you mentioned that a custom shaft would cost about $200. When I call SD Driveline I was quoted for about $400. Am I getting a platinum version for that price.

Just replaced the front shaft with a junkyard one to fix exactly the same problem. I also plan to get the old one re-built for when the JY one goes. I think it's down to lifting the jeep, lack of greasing in it's early life (before me) and offroading in sandy/muddy trails and bogs.

However much you mentally 'tune-out' those vibes it's much better once they are actually gone.

Back