• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 4.0 cutting out under a load

MTjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Well my Jeep just developed a problem, the engine cuts out under anything more than about 1/4 throttle. If you take off slow the engine runs fine, but when you step into the gas it cuts out for a second, dropping the rpms down then it starts going again and cuts out over and over until you back off the throttle. I know there's been a ton of people asking about this, but nobody seems to have an obdII with this. Any help would be appreciated! Its a 98 4.0 auto, 145k miles, air intake, flowmaster, otherwise stock engine.

have you checked the obvious?
Plugs, wires, rotor, coil wire, fuel filter, engine grounds, Throttle Position Sensor

Did you ever find a solution to your problem? Mine is a '97 and I have the same symptoms as you did. Have already replaced fuel pump and filter, coil, plug wires, plugs, distributor cap and rotor. Thanks in advance for any help you might have!!!

MTjeeper said:
Well my Jeep just developed a problem, the engine cuts out under anything more than about 1/4 throttle. If you take off slow the engine runs fine, but when you step into the gas it cuts out for a second, dropping the rpms down then it starts going again and cuts out over and over until you back off the throttle. I know there's been a ton of people asking about this, but nobody seems to have an obdII with this. Any help would be appreciated! Its a 98 4.0 auto, 145k miles, air intake, flowmaster, otherwise stock engine.

Back