• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

v-8 in xj .

NOS/86

NAXJA Forum User
what would be better ? to use a 87-up with a 4.0 in it or would it be ok to use a 87-back that had a 4popper in it .

reason i'm asking is i'm looking for a new xj project to v-8 and i'm looking for a super straight with no rust .

i've found a super nice 84 that has a running /driveing 4popper/auto . one owner never wheeled . that i can pick up for dirt cheap . friend bought from first owner and pulled the gears out of it for his xj .

would it be just as easy to put the v-8 in this xj as it would one that had a 4.0 in it ?

Advanced Adapters (AA) discusses the differences between the "4.0L" years and the early-er years--pre-'87. They state the front clip is longer on the '87 and latter years. They also recommend that the "4.0L" clip should be installed on the early years when doing the V8 conversion. I have a SBC in my '88. Length-wise, I have plenty of room. I used the AA engine mounts to position my Chevy. The problem I ran into was width, and installing an appropriate radiator fore a V8. Good luck.

Back