• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does this look good?

tuff_jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Does this look like it would hold out??

WeldedrearDiff.jpg

I wouldn't run it. Just buy a Lock-Rite if money's a problem.

if the carriers cracked i wouldn't run it at all . but if its just the way the picture was took and it is not cracked i'd run it .

question for you .

1. what carrier is it ?

if it is a d30 ....make sure your axles are timed together . or you'll snap the axles as soon as you try to turn in 4wd . pack a spare set of axles .

if its rear ...just remember to pack you a set of axles for trail use .

i'm running a welded carrier in my 8.8 right now and have been for a year and a half with NO PROBLEMS . it is welded to the carrier (everywhere a spider gear touches the carrier) and where the teeth touch too .

NOS/86 said:
if it is a d30 ....make sure your axles are timed together . or you'll snap the axles as soon as you try to turn in 4wd . pack a spare set of axles .
Thats total BS!

RCP Phx said:
Thats total BS!

I DON'T THINK SO ! IT WORKS GOOD . i too tought it was BS . i've seen a hand full of of 30's weld and the axles timed and it works . if you don't time them they break . i have a aussie locker in my 30.

NOS/86 said:
I DON'T THINK SO ! IT WORKS GOOD . i too tought it was BS . i've seen a hand full of of 30's weld and the axles timed and it works . if you don't time them they break . i have a aussie locker in my 30.
And so now your going to tell us that anyone that has a Lock-rite,Detroit,or ARB that the locker knows how to re-index itself every time,I think NOT!!!

RCP Phx said:
And so now your going to tell us that anyone that has a Lock-rite,Detroit,or ARB that the locker knows how to re-index itself every time,I think NOT!!!

whatever . i wish i'd never said anything . i just state something i know something about . a lunchbox locker has give in it . a weld unit doesn't . both with still break . but a welded will break quik without the axles timed .

seen it a number oftimes in the dana30's and in toyota frontends there the same when you weld them up . well any welded frontend . 44's ,60's ,rockwells .

if you got some more things to say to me take it to PM's .

Its a "mute" point,installing a welded diff in anything other than a "disco" axle would be impossible to drive!

Timing axles !?!?!? hmmmm, does it require muffler grease ???

It's a new one on me. Not that I break them that often but just how do you time two axles ? [damn I bit didn't I]....

Well, I've never heard of it either, but if you think about it, it makes sense with a welded diff, Especially on a smaller, weaker axle. I'd say the same would apply to a spooled front end.

As was mentioned, a locker has 'give' to it, which is what makes it allow turning. A welded diff has no give, except for twisting axles or breaking them.

A locked axle will not re-index, but if the force is great enough, it will unlock to release the pressure. A weld won't 'unweld', it will only break.

Whether or not it helps, it doesn't take long to index the front end if you are welding it up. Trying it won't hurt, and it may save your axle, or at least help it last longer.

TRCM said:
A locked axle will not re-index, but if the force is great enough, it will unlock to release the pressure. A weld won't 'unweld', it will only break.
damn so my lockers are really just limited slips?

Just curious how you index or time a set of axles when they are set by the splines INSIDE the carrier. I can pull, quarter turn, reinstall a set of axles all day long and not change a thing in relation to how they set inside the carrier.
I call SPOBI..

As to the carrier, It looks cracked. Don't run it.

Im guessing he means indexing the ujoints so they lead and lag at the same time when they rotate. Im not going to offer an opinion as to whether it matters, only an opinion as to what hes talking about.

Back