• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help! whats wrong

solomaster278

NAXJA Forum User
I have 2000 charokee with 4.0 auto and Select Trac, i put it in 4 full-time to make shore 4 wheel drive is working good, then put it back in 2hi. Now when i turn the front end is fighting its self does not like turning and grinds. Please Help. Thankyou
Greg

You sure the lever is all the way up in 2WD? It sounds like its in 4WD part time. With the grinding you mentioned, it may not be completely in any range but stuck between 2WD and 4WD.

Is the Jeep Auto, or Stick?

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I've seen it happen. Have you tried driving it in reverse for a short bit? (maybe 10'-20'?) It sounds like Ray H is right; the transfer case is a little stuck between ranges, and needs a tweak to jog things loose.

When I had this trouble (scared the heck out of me!) I played around with the tranny (auto) in neutral and drive, then reverse as well. If just popping it into reverse then forward doesn't 'fix' the problem, then try working the t-case lever in and out of 4-part-time and 2-hi; in park, then reverse, neutral and drive.

Hope it helps!

:)

ok your vacume that actavates the shift fork on your axle may be lose or cracked check the line and if that doesnt work take the 4 bolts off the axle where your atavater is and manully move it and put it back together

mud4x4lover said:
ok your vacume that actavates the shift fork on your axle may be lose or cracked check the line and if that doesnt work take the 4 bolts off the axle where your atavater is and manully move it and put it back together

Hes got a 2000, no vacuum disconnect to fuss with. Its in his shifter or linkage.

If you drive most 4x4's on dry pavement they may bind up. With the differences in turning radius and NO wheel slipage on dry pavement tension or binding will occur making it hard for the mecanism to dissengage. Sometimes driving onto loose material (dirt/gravel/shoulder of the road) will help relieve the binding. If while it was bound up you where to put a jack under one front wheel you would see the wheel sort of try to spin just a little as soon as the weight came off of it. I think they some times call it axle wrap. You shouldnt have hurt anything just trying 4x4. You may have to check linkage.

Back