• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flat towing with a Front Hitch

jmsull

NAXJA Forum User
I am moving cross country. The XJ will be towed behind a 17' Uhaul. I have a front hitch already, so I was thinking I could use that to flat tow instead of shelling out a couple hundred bucks for the dolly. Is there an accepted way to use the front hitch or is it all custom fabbed? Oh and lastly is this a good idea or should I just get the dolly.

Dont know about how to hook it up to the truck, with a front hitch, but tow if you figure it out, flat tow it with the Tcase in Nerutal, and the tranny in park, or in gear(if its a stick). You could pull the front shaft, and tie up the rear one also.

I flat towed a CJ across country behind a 24' box truck with no problems. The only thing is you cannot back up so when you park like overnight at a motel make sure that you can pull straight out. Also make sure that your front sway bar is hooked up.

CanMan said:
Dont know about how to hook it up to the truck, with a front hitch, but tow if you figure it out, flat tow it with the Tcase in Nerutal, and the tranny in park, or in gear(if its a stick). You could pull the front shaft, and tie up the rear one also.

I've heard that also. I had to have my previous XJ towed years ago, and the tow truck driver put all four wheels on dollies. Removing both driveshafts would be the safe way to go.

Removing the driveshafts would be safer but totally unnecessary. Its designed toflat tow with the t-case in N and tranny in P.

Ray H said:
Removing the driveshafts would be safer but totally unnecessary. Its designed toflat tow with the t-case in N and tranny in P.

Really? Then I wonder why the tow truck driver would insist on full dollies. It'd be way less work for him to just have me shift the T-case into neutral, tranny into park, and tow it conventionally.

Ray H said:
Removing the driveshafts would be safer but totally unnecessary. Its designed to flat tow with the t-case in N and tranny in P.

Ray H is right, Ive got over 7000 miles flat towing xj's TC in neutral and auto in park

picture.JPG

fubar XJ said:
Really? Then I wonder why the tow truck driver would insist on full dollies. It'd be way less work for him to just have me shift the T-case into neutral, tranny into park, and tow it conventionally.

on a dolly you need to remove one DS so they don't bind, flat towing is a totally different beast

xjnation said:
on a dolly you need to remove one DS so they don't bind, flat towing is a totally different beast

I think thats still undetermined. ;)

fubar XJ said:

My guess is he did it because he didnt know better. It may be a policy thing. There are so many SUVs and trucks now days that dont have a true N position in their t-case that they probably just treat them all the same to be safe.

JeffsJeep04 said:
That's where 2lo comes in handy :)

why would that matter, you could just leave it in hi2 same thing except for not FAWKIN up the TC by trying to make it turn at highway speeds while in lo gearing:skull2:

xjnation said:
why would that matter, you could just leave it in hi2 same thing except for not FAWKIN up the TC by trying to make it turn at highway speeds while in lo gearing:skull2:
Cuz with 2lo you gain true neutral ;)

Thanks for all the posts.

I'm curious about the rigging between the hitch on the back of the truck, and the one on the front of my XJ. I would prefer not to mount tow bar brackets to the bumper.

I wasn't referring to the 2 low position...I was referring to the 2 low kit. By installing the new selector, you gain a true neutral position, which both disconnects the t-case from the input and disconnects the front and rear outputs.

jmsull said:

I'm curious about the rigging between the hitch on the back of the truck, and the one on the front of my XJ. I would prefer not to mount tow bar brackets to the bumper.
someone on here had tow bar brackets wleded to his front hidden hitch, i think.

JeffsJeep04 said:
I wasn't referring to the 2 low position...I was referring to the 2 low kit. By installing the new selector, you gain a true neutral position, which both disconnects the t-case from the input and disconnects the front and rear outputs.

but it don't matter when you flat tow anyway, its a totally moot point in this discussion. Handy if dolly towing though

jmsull said:

I don't know why you couldn'y buy two of these or something like it and put a 4ft 3in square tube in between and tow it. Might get squirly though.
12481_lg.gif

Or just a square tube that goes into the reciever with a hole drilled in it for the pin and then one of those on the end to attace to ball on the truck. Might be too much force on the tube for turnign and not swaying though. What does your bumper look like? pics would be helpfull for more ideas.

Back