• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle seal problems

HolsanXJ

NAXJA Forum User
alright i have a 95 cherokee and i blew the axle seal so i went to replace it and i just cant get it out its that little metal one on the driver side of a dana 30...how do i get the dan thing out?

thanks

Pull the carrier and run something down the tube from the knuckle and tap it out. I usually use a piece of tubing.

No, they go out through the carrier on the front axle. Behind the carrier bearing which is why you have to pull the carrier to get it out.

BTW, mark the caps on the carrier before pulling them. They have to be put on in the same orentation. Top/Bottom and side to side.

Drill twos holes in it, thread two screws in it top and bottom half way.
Yank with vice grips. (if you pull the carrier)
If you pull the shaft...
Put a pipe through the axle tube and punch it out.

Last edited:
barillms said:
Drill twos holes in it, thread two screws in it top and bottom half way.
Yank with vice grips. (if you pull the carrier)
If you pull the shaft...
Put a pipe through the axle tube and punch it out.

I'd like to know how you think it can be removed without taking out the carrier. Even better I'd like to see you put it back in.

Lincoln said:
I'd like to know how you think it can be removed without taking out the carrier. Even better I'd like to see you put it back in.

I was also wondering how he was planning to pull the carrier without pulling the shaft.

Back