• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 stays in 4wd

Fatbass

NAXJA Forum User
My 91 shifts into 4wd with no problems, When I shift back to 2wd it takes a while and then does it with a bang. Before this it would shift in and out just fine. Linkage need adjusting? I have read up on that here but haven't done it yet. Could this be the fix or am I up for a rebuilt?

It should work on the fly, but if your tires are worn or inflated unevenly, even a little, it can cause enough binding in the drivetrain to prevent or slow disengagement. If you have a vacuum disconnect front axle, it can also prevent the axle from disengaging even if the transfer case does, and in that case, even though you're in 2WD, you'll see the 4WD light until the axle disengages.

Sometimes it's enough just to put the transmission in neutral and brake lightly. Sometimes you may have to stop and reverse. It depends on how much strain is on the drivetrain, and a little on how healthy your vacuum system is, to unshift the axle.

So before anything else, check your tires.

90xj06 said:
you must go into reverse to unhook the front axle. or going around a corner forcing it out giving a "bang".

Uh, no on either count. It may take some cajoling, but disengaging the front axle as you've described it is definitely not the normal way of having to do it. Banging is unhealthy.

Matthew Currie said:
So before anything else, check your tires.

I've found the 242 to be particularly sensitive to tyre pressures - not that the 231 necessarily isn't, but this is still a good first check.

You've got a '91 - but which transfer case? This would certainly help to narrow down possible causes.

Back