• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Difference between "NP231 J" and "NP231 D"

72charger

NAXJA Forum User
whats the differnces from a "np231 j" vs an "np231 d"???????????? form what i can see, the "d" has an extension housing, and different vacuum lines, any help?

also- how hard is it to remove the transfer case w/out removing tranny? i see that i just have to remove the tranny mount to access the bolts, ect, but how hard is it to separate the two items? Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!

There are some internal differences. The D cases have a 1/4" wider chain and sprocket set and a 6 pinion planetary over a 3 pinion, IIRC

The D model cases I have torn apart did not have the 6 gear planetary.

In regards to how hard is it to remove the t-case without removing the tranny? It is simply a pain getting to the top bolts on the transfer case. Also, try not to destroy the plastic inserts that the linkage snaps into as they can be kind of hard to get out sometimes. Hope that helps.

I never had that much trouble with the nuts on top due to using a stubby wrench but the ones behind the shifter bracket can be a pain without a wobble extension and a socket.

I leave the cross member attached to the TC, then using my floor jack crank down to give more room on top. Then the process is easy once you have dropped it down several inches

Ok, so maybe I am a little bitter because the last t-case i swapped was in a foot of snow when it was 20 degrees out. I would agree though, with the right wrench it makes it easier.

turbobaja1835 said:
Ok, so maybe I am a little bitter because the last t-case i swapped was in a foot of snow when it was 20 degrees out. I would agree though, with the right wrench it makes it easier.

I wont trade my ratcheting box end wrenches for all the tools on earth LOL

xjnation said:
I wont trade my ratcheting box end wrenches for all the tools on earth LOL
Are they really worth it, I had a set years ago and the clunky things were a PIA to get into tight spaces. I've been eyeing the new ones at sears but past experience has made me think more.

RichP said:
Are they really worth it, I had a set years ago and the clunky things were a PIA to get into tight spaces. I've been eyeing the new ones at sears but past experience has made me think more.

I have a set of HUSKY from of all places Home Depot, These are nice and slim and not bulky at all. about 2% larger than my standard box ends.

2f8c9cca-a806-4af3-aea9-a7b410715c03_4.jpg

I beat the snot out of these daily and never an issue. Most of my tools are craftsman but I'm going to be buying more Husky in the future.

These double box end units do not have a lever mechanism to change direction of ratchet action, rather you flip them over to go different directions.

(commercial over)

Hey xjnation, thanks for the tip on the tools. I use the Craftsman ratchet wrenches, because I like Craftsman tools, but the heads are so thick that often times you can't get on a bolt or nut. I'll look at the Husky tools next time I'm at Home Depot.. Rick

Last edited:
I just got a set of Gearwrench brand ratcheting wrenches. They are barely bigger than non-ratcheting ones, and are very nice. I highly recommend them. I think sears sells them. If I remember correctly, craftsman only makes 'heavy duty' ones, with big, bulky heads and large spacing between the teeth of the ratchet mechanism, in order to withstand more torque.

axiomatik said:
I just got a set of Gearwrench brand ratcheting wrenches. They are barely bigger than non-ratcheting ones, and are very nice. I highly recommend them. I think sears sells them. If I remember correctly, craftsman only makes 'heavy duty' ones, with big, bulky heads and large spacing between the teeth of the ratchet mechanism, in order to withstand more torque.

I broke a gear wrench the first time I added a cheater bar. it stripped

the husky I use a cheater bar and even a hammer on to loosen suck on stuff with no issues.....I'm tough on tools

Back