• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

flowmasters:rustys say they aren't for xj's?

cjben

NAXJA Forum User
I am a little confused here. I am looking for a new exhaust system for my 92 xj. i was looking around rusty's site at the muffler/tailpipe combo's and noticed he was using flowmaster 40 series mufflers with the tail pipes. then I clicked on the link for just the flowmaster muffler itself,and it says "Rusty's does not recommend the Flowmaster 40 series for the Inline 6 motor. The agressive sound of the Flowmaster 40 is really better suited to the V8 engine." what gives? why is he selling it for xj's if it isn't reccommended for xj's? or am I reading to much into it?

They sound really nice on the I6 IMO.

I have a 3" 40 series Delta flow on mine, and I love the sound.. It's deep, and not really "rappy" like you hear from a lot of the flowmasters.. It has some drone going down the road, but i've learned to love it.. Plus the indestructability of a flowmaster is unsurpassed.

cjben said:
I am a little confused here. I am looking for a new exhaust system for my 92 xj. i was looking around rusty's site at the muffler/tailpipe combo's and noticed he was using flowmaster 40 series mufflers with the tail pipes. then I clicked on the link for just the flowmaster muffler itself,and it says "Rusty's does not recommend the Flowmaster 40 series for the Inline 6 motor. The agressive sound of the Flowmaster 40 is really better suited to the V8 engine." what gives? why is he selling it for xj's if it isn't reccommended for xj's? or am I reading to much into it?

well you can BUY WHATEVER YOU WANT, he is recomending you dont buy that muffler for your xj application. Please call the flowmaster techsuport. I did, they recomend you use the flowmaster 50 series for the 4.0. Well you really dont need to call them now since i told ya, but call them if you dont believe me or you are hell bent on using a 40 series.

I have borla header, new magnaflow cat, 50 series (original not delta flow) and 2 1/2 " pipes. Sounds pretty badass, i dont know that the 40 series would "sound better". It doesn make sense that different volume muffler is designed to literally muffle the output of different sized engines.

They recomend the 40 series for your average v8 ... so in the XJ the 40 series is oversized by about 25% - 50% (ford 5.0 is 1 liter or 25% larger than 4.0, 5.7 SBC is 1.7 liters rounded up to 2.0 or 50 % larger than a 4.0)

do the math.

Last edited:
motorcityxj said:
well you can BUY WHATEVER YOU WANT, he is recomending you dont buy that muffler for your xj application. Please call the flowmaster techsuport. I did, they recomend you use the flowmaster 50 series for the 4.0. Well you really dont need to call them now since i told, but call them if you dont believe me or you are hell bend on using a 40 series.

I have borla header, new magnaflow cat, 50 series (original not delta flow) and 2 1/2 " pipes. Sounds pretty badass, i dont know that the 40 series would "sound better".

X2, look into the flowmaster 50 series. You'll be happier. Don't worry about what the catalog says. Just pay attention to the inlet and outlet size and pipe diameters.

the rusty's kit is perfect...i've been running it for about 8 months now, and i have absolutley no complaints

the kit took literally 25 minutes to install, and everything fit perfectly and it sounds badass with the 40 series

no regrets, highly recommended

XJCreeper said:
X2, look into the flowmaster 50 series. You'll be happier. Don't worry about what the catalog says. Just pay attention to the inlet and outlet size and pipe diameters.

I think it depends on if you want it to be quiet or if you want people to be able to hear you coming.

50 is quiet compared to the 40.

I have the Rusty's flowmaster kit on my XJ and it sounds great. Its not loud at all. I believe it is the 40 series but I bought it a while back and there wasn't an option for mufflers then.

I run the series 70 SUV (I don't think it's cataloged anymore though). It's OK, but I'd really like less noise.

CanMan said:
I run, as well as a good handful of other NWC members, a Flowmaster 40 series. No problems, and sounds great. Rustys probably wants you to buy his stuff.

IXNAYXJ and his Flowmaster. http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/12GaugeXJ/?action=view&current=100_2890.flv

he used to sell both the 40 and the 50 series and assume he still does, rusty apparently "recomends" the 50 series thats all. I assume he makes the same money with in a few pennies selling you a 40 series or 50 series so rusty wouldnt care one way or the other which one you buy in that regard, jsut doing you favor by telling you flowmaster recomends the 50 series. Which i can confirm on my own account cause i called long before that was on his site, i bought mine 3 years ago.

motorcityxj said:
he used to sell both the 40 and the 50 series and assume he still does, rusty apparently "recomends" the 50 series thats all. I assume he makes the same money with in a few pennies selling you a 40 series or 50 series so rusty wouldnt care one way or the other which one you buy in that regard, jsut doing you favor by telling you flowmaster recomends the 50 series. Which i can confirm on my own account cause i called long before that was on his site, i bought mine 3 years ago.

I wouldn't know what he uses, his link to the 'performance' part of his webpage was down when I tried looking earlier today. I don't shop there either, so Im not firmilar with what he sells. I could really care less on what Flowmaster reccomends to me, I used what I had around.

CanMan said:
I wouldn't know what he uses, his link to the 'performance' part of his webpage was down when I tried looking earlier today. I don't shop there either, so Im not firmilar with what he sells. I could really care less on what Flowmaster reccomends to me, I used what I had around.

well if you had it laying around, thats different. Cant beat that price :yelclap:
If i was buying new i would buy what recomended by the flowmaster techs myself. My set up is plenty loud if they are looking for loudness, i got bumped in aparking lot, dude busted out my tail light and before i could get it fixed, i got pulled over. Cop also wrote me up for noise violation to tell you how loud my set up is. Not exactly mild, definatley not confused with stock, i got out of the ticket by the way since i fought it and the cop didnt test it with a db meter. Its plenty agressive sounding if thats what you guys are looking for.

Rustys has both the 40 and 50 flowmasters with the kit also. I got the flowmaster 50 and a high flow magnaflow cat its all 2 1/2' (need to get a header though.) like the sound a lot.

Back