• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 5.5" extreme duty

mundur5

NAXJA Forum User
I am currently going through a dilema, about what lift I should buy. I currently have Rustys's 3" springs with a budget boost (shackle and spacer) on top of that. I have bushwackers and I have squeezed 33's on there. Also the lift has been on for about 3.5 years. Now it is time to replace it.

I have searched and I was wondering if anyone has anything to say about the RE 5.5" extreme duty kit(short arms). The reason I would like to get this kit is because I have a list of things that I want to get done all at once and I don't want to go to long arms right now.

I have the Chrysler 8.25 in the rear. It is a 98 4 door cherokee sport 4x4. Right now I have a t-case drop and I would like to get rid of that and get the SYE and driveshaft. Also, hopefully 4.56's will be going in at the same time.

Does anyone think that there is a better lift out there for the money or am I making any mistake. I know a fair amount and I know everyone hear recomends RE, but I wanted to be sure, because I don't want to have to replace any parts in the near future after my new lift is on.

Any recomendations and advice would be very helpfull.

I've been running the RE lift short arm lift for years with no issues. For what I've seen one benefit of the shortarm setup is that clears nicely when dropping the front tire off obstacles like rocks. I've been running the JKS control arms with it and am very happy with this kit. It's taken me to and from places I originally thought I'd never get to with no issue. Here some pics to check out:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/710342/8

I have had the kit on my old 97 XJ, and on my current 98 XJ. I highly recommend it for the price, however, I would swap the 4.5" ZJ coils for 3.5" ZJ coils, and the 4.5" packs for 3.5" packs. The kit is just too tall. I have had it on both my rigs and instlaled it on several customers, and they all started out about 7.5" rear and 6.5" front. I was running 37" MT/R's on my 97, and it was still too tall. On my 98, I swapped out the 4.5" ZJ coils for 3.5" ZJ coils, and have worn 4.5" leaf packs and stock shackles (got rid of the extended shackle). I'm sitting right at 5" now, my control arms angles are parallel with the ground, so the ride quality is awesome, especially with the OME long travel shocks, and I'm running 35" MT/R's. My COG is low, stability on the trails is awesome, especially with a 77" trackwidth (equivalent of 15x8's with 1.5" backspacing), my flex is great, and I'm am just super happy with my slight alterations to make the kit much better.

I am running it and love it. Running it with 33s and its a little tall but its old and has settled nicely. It was on the jeep when I got it and I know the previous owner had it on another rig before this one. Its held up great, it flexes good and drives awsome on the road. Be sure and get the gen two discos as the Gen 1s are the biggest pile of crap ever made. They are noisy, hard to connect, noisy, and have alot of slack in them. That is the only complaint I have about the kit.

Thanks for the advice guys. I will be running 33's with this kit if I get it. But there is the chance that I will step up to 35's. I appreciate the help.

Back